A.   Petition To City Council: Any person, including any subdivider, who desires to have the water mains extended within the city, and is willing to advance the whole expense of such extension and receive the return of an agreed portion thereof, as hereinafter provided, may make application to the city council by petition. The petition shall contain a description of such proposed extension accompanied by a map showing the location of the proposed extension together with an offer to advance the whole expense thereof, which cost shall be verified by the city engineer. The city council may grant or deny the petition as in its discretion deems best for the welfare of existing water users in the city. (1982 Code § 14-143; amd. 1998 Code)
   B.   Cost Determined: Upon the receipt of such petition and map and before the petition is granted, the city council shall obtain from the city engineer a certified statement showing the whole cost or expense of making such extension. (1982 Code § 14-144; amd. 1998 Code)
   C.   Amount Deposited: If the city council grants the petition, the amount of the cost of making the extension, as certified by the city engineer, shall be deposited with the city clerk/recorder before any work shall be done on such extension. The deposit shall be made within thirty (30) days, or such other time as the city council shall indicate, after the granting thereof. (1982 Code § 14-145; amd. 1998 Code)
   D.   Return Of Deposit: At the time the city council decides whether or not to grant petition for an extension, it shall also decide whether or not any portion of the costs is to be refunded and the manner and circumstances under which such refund shall be made or credited to the applicant, his successors or representatives. Such determination shall be duly recorded in writing and a copy thereof furnished to the applicant. (1982 Code § 14-146)
   E.   Forfeiture: In the event any deposit remains unclaimed for a period of five (5) years after the depositor has discontinued water service, the deposit may be forfeited and then transferred to the water fund. (1982 Code § 14-146; amd. 1998 Code)
   F.   Ownership Of Extension: Any such extension shall be deemed the property of the city. (1982 Code § 14-147)