Skip to code content (skip section selection)
For the purpose of this subchapter, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
ADULTERATED. The condition of a food:
(1) If it bears or contains any poisonous or deleterious substance in a quantity which may render it injurious to health;
(2) If it bears or contains any added poisonous or deleterious substance for which no safe tolerance has been established by regulation, or in excess of such tolerance if one has been established;
(3) If it consists in whole or in part of any filthy, putrid or decomposed substances or if it is otherwise unfit for consumption;
(4) If it has been processed, prepared, packed or held under insanitary conditions, whereby it may have become contaminated with filth, or whereby it may have been rendered injurious to health;
(5) If it is in whole or in part the product of a diseased anneal, or an animal which has died otherwise than by slaughter; or
(6) If its container is composed in whole or in part of any poisonous or deleterious substance which may render the contents injurious to health.
CLOSED. Fitted together snugly leaving no openings large enough to permit the entrance of vermin.
EASILY CLEANABLE. Readily accessible and of such material and finish, and so fabricated that residue may be completely removed by normal cleaning methods.
EMPLOYEE. Any person working in a food store who transports food or food containers, who engages in food preparation or service, or who comes in contact with any foods utensil or equipment.
FOOD. Any raw, cooked or processed edible substance, beverage or ingredient used or intended for use or for sale in whole or in part for human consumption.
FOOD CONTACT SURFACES. Those surfaces of equipment and utensils with which food normally comes in direct contact, and those surfaces with which food may come in contact and drain back onto surfaces normally in contact with food.
FOOD STORE. Retail grocery, meat market, poultry market, fish market, fresh fruit and vegetable market, confectionery, nut store, retail bakery or any other establishment, whether fixed or moveable, where food, intended for human consumption off the premises, is manufactured, produced, prepared, handled, transported, sold or offered for sale at retail. A delicatessen where foods are cooked or prepared, located within a FOOD STORE, may have to comply with such other food sanitation regulations that apply to such food preparation operations.
FOOD VENDING MACHINE. Any and all types of mechanical devices which operate by insertion of a coin or other token and which delivers or permits the removal of candy, food or any food product from such machine.
HEALTH DEPARTMENT. The Lake County Board of Health.
HEALTH OFFICER. The duly appointed Health Officer of the city or his or her authorized representative.
PERISHABLE FOOD. Any food of a type or in such condition as may spoil, but does not include foods or beverages enclosed in hermetically sealed containers, unless such container is labeled so as to indicate that the contents are perishable.
PERSON. Person, firm, corporation or association.
POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS FOOD. Any perishable food which consists in whole or in part of milk or milk products eggs, meats poultry, fish, shellfish or other ingredients capable of supporting rapid and progressive growth of infectious or toxigenic microorganisms.
SAFE TEMPERATURES. As applied to potentially hazardous foods shall mean temperatures of 45°F or below, and 140°F or above. As applied to frozen perishable foods, SAFE TEMPERATURE shall be 0°F or below, except for a variation of 15°F during transit, unloading or defrosting during a mechanical defrosting cycle. Temperatures shall be determined by measurement of the actual product temperature or the ambient air temperature in the storage device.
SEALED. Free of cracks or other openings which permit the entrance or passage of moisture.
UTENSIL. All containers or any equipment of any kind or nature with which food comes in contact after delivery to a food store, during storage, preparation, display or sale.
(Prior Code, § 17-7)