Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) For the purposes of this subchapter, the parent of a minor shall be presumed, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have knowingly permitted such minor to have committed a violation of this subchapter if:
(1) Such minor shall have either:
(a) Been adjudicated to be in violation of;
(b) Incurred non-judicial sanctions from an official public agency resulting from an admission of guilt of violation of; or
(c) Received a written warning or citation from the Lake Forest Police Department of a potential or probable violation of any of the above enumerated provisions of the city code.
(2) The parent shall have received a written notice from the Lake Forest Police Department of such adjudication, sanction or warning; and
(3) After written notice of a violation has been given to such parent by the Lake Forest Police Department, there is a continued or repeated violation by such minor within three years of the date of the notice of violation.
(B) Notwithstanding the foregoing, such parent shall not be presumed to have knowingly permitted such minor to have committed such violation if such parent shall have, prior to the occurrence of the repeat violation:
(1) Delivered written notice to the Police Chief of the city of his or her inability to prevent such continued or repeat violation; and
(2) Requested that the City Police Department, or the proper public authority, take the necessary legal steps to have the minor declared and dealt with as a delinquent minor. All notices required to be delivered pursuant to this section shall be delivered either by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested, or by personal service, with a certificate of personal service returned.
(Prior Code, § 47.8-5) (Ord. 99-49, passed 11-18-1999)