Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) General amendments.
(1) ICC Electrical Code. Any and all references to the ICC Electrical Code are hereby deleted and replaced with NFPA 70, National Electrical Code 2011.
(2) ICC International Energy Conservation Code. Any and all references to the ICC International Energy Conservation Code or Chapter 11 are hereby deleted and replaced with the State of Illinois Energy Conservation Code.
(3) ICC International Plumbing Code. Any and all references to the ICC International Plumbing Code are hereby deleted and replaced with the State of Illinois Plumbing Code, current edition.
(5) ICC International Private Sewage Disposal Code. Any and all references to the ICC International Private Sewage Disposal Code are hereby deleted and replaced with the Individual Sewage and Disposal Ordinance.
(B) Specific amendments.
Insert the words “Lake County Planning, Building & Development” to replace “[NAME OF JURISDICTION]”.
Delete the words “DEPARTMENT OF BUILDING SAFETY” and insert the words “Lake County Planning, Building & Development Department”
Delete the words “DEPARTMENT OF BUILDING SAFETY” and insert the words “Lake County Planning, Building and Development Department”.
Amend item 1, delete with no substitution Items 2, 3, and 10. Add # 11 to read as follows:
11. Structures determined by the Building Official to be eligible for the Registration Program.
• Item #1 “Playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet”.
• Item #2 “Fences not over 7 feet high.”
• Item #3 “Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.”
• Item #10 “Decks not exceeding 200 square feet in area, that are not more than 16 inches above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling, are not part of a pool barrier, and do not serve the exit door required by section R311.4.”
Delete the entire section and replace with: “The building permit card shall be kept on the site of the work in an accessible location, protected from adverse weather until the completion of the project.”
Change the title of this section from Foundation Inspection to Footing Inspection.
Board of Appeals Delete the entire section and replace with:
R112.1 Application for Appeal: Any person shall have the right to appeal a decision of the Building Official to the Zoning Board of Appeals. An application for appeal shall be based on a claim that the true intent of this code or the rules legally adopted thereunder have been incorrectly interpreted, the provisions of this code do not fully apply, or an equivalent form of construction is to be used.
R112.2 Disqualification of Member: A member shall not hear an appeal in which that member has any personal, professional or financial interest.
R112.3 Compensation of Members: Compensation of members shall be determined by law.
R112.4 Notice of Meeting: Any appeal must be filed with the Zoning Board of Appeals within 30 days after the date of the Building Official’s decision thereon.
R112.5 Open Hearing: All hearings before the Board of Appeals shall be open to the public. The appellant, the appellant’s representative, the Building Official and any person whose interests are affected shall be given an opportunity to be heard.
R112.5.1 Procedure: The Zoning Board of Appeals shall adopt and make available to the public through the Secretary, procedures under which a hearing will be conducted. The procedures shall not require compliance with strict rules of evidence but shall mandate that only relevant information be received.
R112.6 Administration: The Building Official shall take immediate action in accordance with the decision of the Zoning Board of Appeals.”
Complete this table as follows:
Delete this section with no substitution.
All references to 1/2 inch gypsum board should be changed to 5/8 inch Type X gypsum board.
Delete the last line in the table.
Add the following Exception:
Exception: One and two family dwellings that are protected by an automatic residential fire sprinkler system shall be allowed to substitute 1/> inch gypsum board in place of 5/8 inch Type X gypsum board.
Change the section to read as follows:
Minimum height. Habitable space, hallways, bathrooms, toilet rooms, laundry rooms and portions of basements containing these spaces shall have a ceiling height of not less than 7'6".
Add an additional exception numbered 3 to read as follows:
3. Ceilings and finished basements can have a minimum height less than 7'6" provided that no permanently installed fixtures will extend below 7 feet.
Delete the entire section with no substitution.
Change this section to read as follows:
Alterations, repairs and additions. When alterations, repairs or additions requiring a permit occur, and the cost of the alterations, repairs or additions exceeds 50% of the assessed value of the dwelling or when one or more sleeping rooms are added or created in existing dwellings, the individual dwelling unit shall be equipped with smoke alarms located as required for new dwellings.
Page 68 Section R322 “Flood Resistant Construction”
Delete the current table and insert the following table:
Rewrite this section as follows and delete the exception:
Concrete or masonry foundations. Drains shall be provided around all concrete or masonry foundations that retain earth and enclosed crawl spaces, habitable or usable spaces located below grade. The foundation drain shall consist of drainage tiles or perforated pipe placed on a minimum of 2 inches of washed gravel or crushed rock with a minimum aggregate size of one half inch in diameter and covered with not less than 12 inches of the same material. Foundation drains must be covered with a filter membrane with a minimum width of 18 inches. Foundation drains must connect to a sump pit located inside the basement or crawl space of the dwelling. The drains must discharge by gravity or mechanical means into an approved drainage system.
Rewrite this section as follows:
Finished grade. The finished grade of under floor surfaces must be located a minimum of 24 inches and a maximum of 42 inches below the bottom of the floor framing.
Delete this section with no substitution.
Delete the exception.
Add the following section:
903.5 When a dwelling is provided with a basement or has habitable rooms below grade, gutters and downspouts shall be installed, unless omission is specifically permitted by the Building Official. All exterior doors, not protected with gutters, shall be protected from roof runoff by a continuous gutter and downspouts or an approved type diverter.
(Ord. 14-0316, passed 4-8-2014)