Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The water supply may be shut off and disconnected from any premises for which a bill for water services remains unpaid 60 days after it has been rendered.
(B) Whenever a bill for water services remains unpaid 60 days after it has been rendered, the Village Manager shall require a deposit in an amount equal to one-half the estimated annual water bill for the premises as determined by the Village Manager. If the deposit and the amount then due for water service shall not be paid within the time fixed by the Village Manager, the water service shall be shut off and disconnected.
(C) Once disconnected pursuant to division (A) or (B) of this section, the water service shall not be renewed except upon payment of:
(1) A fee of $50 for turning on water between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. An additional fee payment of $100 is required for turning water between the hours of 3:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.; and
(2) A deposit in an amount equal to one- half the estimated annual water bill for the premises as determined by the Village Manager. Such deposit shall be maintained by the village until the account is closed. Funds from the deposit may be utilized by the village to provide payment for any unpaid bill for water or sewer service.
(D) It is the policy of the village to discontinue utility service to customers due to nonpayment of bills only after notice and a meaningful opportunity to be heard on disputed bills.
(1) Any customer disputing the correctness of a utility bill shall have a right to a hearing at which time they may be represented by counsel or any other person of their choosing and may present orally or in writing any complaint or contention to the Village Manager. The Village Manager shall be authorized to order that the customer’s service not be discontinued and shall have the authority to make a final determination as to the disposition of the customer’s dispute.
(2) When a utility customer seeks a hearing, a written request for a hearing shall be submitted to the Village Manager.
(3) Requests for delays or waiver of payment shall not be entertained during the hearing process, only questions of proper and correct billing.
(`70 Code, § 23-41) (Ord. 162, passed 6-26-73; Ord. 261, passed 9-26-78; Ord. 729, passed 8-12-03; Ord. 964, passed 1-22-13)