Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) There is established the Knox County School Safety Commission as allowed by I.C. 5-2-10.1-10.
(B) The members of the Commission are as follows:
(1) The school safety specialist for each school corporation located in the county.
(2) The Judge of Knox County Superior Court I or his or her designee.
(3) The Sheriff of the county or his or her designee.
(4) The chief officer of every other law enforcement agency in the county, or the chief officer’s designee.
(5) A representative of the juvenile probation system, appointed by the Judge of County Superior Court I.
(6) Representatives of community agencies that work with children within the county.
(7) A representative of the Indiana State Police district that serves the county.
(8) A representative of the Prosecuting Attorneys Council of Indiana who specializes in the prosecution of juveniles.
(9) Other appropriate individuals selected by the Commission.
(C) The initial meeting of the Commission shall be convened by the school safety specialist of the school corporation having the largest ADM (as defined in I.C. 20-18-2-2) in the county.
(D) A chairperson shall be elected annually.
(E) The Commission shall perform the following duties:
(1) Perform a cumulative analysis of school safety needs within the county.
(2) Coordinate and make recommendations for the following:
(a) Prevention of juvenile offenses and improving the reporting of juvenile offenses within the schools.
(b) Proposals for identifying and assessing children who are at high risk of becoming juvenile offenders.
(c) Methods to meet the educational needs of children who have been detained as juvenile offenders.
(d) Methods to improve communications among agencies that work with children.
(e) Methods to improve security and emergency preparedness.
(f) Additional equipment or personnel that are necessary to carry out safety plans.
(g) Any other topic the Commission considers necessary to improve school safety within the school corporations within the Commission’s jurisdiction.
(3) Provide assistance to the school safety specialists on the Commission in developing and requesting grants for safety plans.
(4) Provide assistance to the school safety specialists on the Commission and the participating school corporations in developing and requesting grants for school safe haven programs under section 7 of this chapter.
(5) Assist each participating school corporation in carrying out the schools corporation’s safety plans.
(F) The affirmative votes of a majority of the voting members of the Commission are required for the Commission to take action on a measure.
(Ord. 11-2013, passed 7-15-2013)