Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The County Council herein establishes the County Department of Parks and Recreation.
(B) (1) Members of the Board of the County Parks and Recreation Department shall be appointed as follows:
(a) Two members from different political parties appointed by the judge of the circuit court;
(b) One member appointed by the County Commissioners;
(c) Two members from different political parties appointed by the County Council;
(d) One ex-officio member appointed by the county cooperative extension coordinator; and
(e) One ex-officio member appointed by the Board of the Soil and Water Conservation District.
(2) Each member shall be appointed on the basis of his or her interest in and knowledge of parks and recreation.
(C) (1) The initial terms of the members appointed shall be:
(a) One member appointed by the judge of the circuit court shall serve for a one-year term and one member appointed by the judge of the circuit court shall serve for a three-year term;
(b) The member appointed by the County Commissioners shall serve for a two-year period;
(c) One member appointed by the County Council shall serve for a two-year term and one member appointed by the County Council shall serve for a four-year term; and
(d) Thereafter, as a term expires, each new appointment shall be for a four-year term. Terms shall expire on the first Monday of January, but an appointee shall continue in office until his or her successor is appointed.
(2) Each ex-officio member shall serve for a four-year term.
(3) No member of the County Council or the Board of Commissioners may serve as a member of the Board.
(D) All meetings of the County Board of Parks and Recreation shall be conducted in accordance with I.C. 36-10-3-8.
(E) (1) At its first regular meeting in each year, the Board shall elect from among its members, a President and a Vice-President. The Vice-President shall act as president during the absence or disability of the President.
(2) Each member elected shall continue to have the full rights as a member of the Board, including the right to vote, regardless of his or her status as an officer.
(3) The Board may select a Secretary either from within or outside its membership.
(F) Members of the County Board of Parks and Recreation shall be compensated as provided in I.C. 36-10-3-9 and the County Council may appropriate and approve a per diem allowance to a member of the Board for attending a meeting of the Board.
(G) The County Board of Parks and Recreation shall have and exercise the powers and duties set forth in I.C. 36-10-3-10, I.C. 36-10-3-11 and I.C. 36-10-3-12, including the preparation and submission of an annual budget in the same manner as other departments of county government.
(H) (1) Pursuant to I.C. 36-10-3-16, every officer and employee who handles money in the performance of duties as prescribed by this chapter shall execute an official bond for the term of office or employment before entering upon the duties of the office or employment.
(2) The County Council may authorize the purchase of a blanket bond or crime insurance policy endorsed to include faithful performance to cover all officers' and employees' faithful performance of duties.
(3) The amount of the bond or crime insurance policy shall be fixed by the County Council. All official bonds shall be filed and recorded in the Office of the County Recorder.
(I) The Board may appoint a superintendent of parks and recreation pursuant to I.C. 36-10-3-13. It may not consider political affiliation in the selection of the Superintendent. The person appointed as Superintendent must:
(1) Be qualified by training or experience in the field or parks and recreation; or
(2) Have a certification or an advanced degree in the field of parks and recreation.
(J) Under the direction of the Board, the Superintendent shall:
(1) Propose annually a plan for the operation of the Department;
(2) Administer the plan as approved by the Board;
(3) Supervise the general administration of the Department;
(4) Keep the records of the Department and preserve all papers and documents of the Department;
(5) Recommend persons for appointment as assistants if the Board determines there is a need;
(6) Appoint the employees of the department, subject to the approval of the Board, according to the standards and qualifications fixed by the board and without regard to political affiliation;
(7) Prepare and present to the Board an annual report; and
(8) Perform other duties that the Board directs.
(K) If the Board determines that the size of the Department's operation requires assistants for the Superintendent, the Board may appoint, upon the recommendation of the Superintendent, one or more assistants pursuant to the qualifications set forth in I.C. 36-10-3-15.
(L) In all other respects not specifically mentioned herein, the County Parks and Recreation Board shall conduct its operation in accordance with the requirements and procedures set forth in I.C. 36-10-3-1 et seq.
(Council Ord. 7-1997, passed - -1997)