Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The Fire Prevention Code shall be enforced by the Bureau of Fire Prevention in the Fire Department, under the supervision of the Fire Chief. The Fire Marshal in charge of the Bureau of Fire Prevention shall be appointed by the Fire Chief, who may also name qualified members of the Department as inspectors from time to time as necessary. All fire inspectors must be certified as fire inspectors by the State Department of Insurance.
(B) It shall be the duty of the Bureau of Fire Prevention to enforce all laws and ordinances of the city covering the following:
(1) The prevention of fires;
(2) The storage, sale and use of combustible, flammable or explosive materials;
(3) The maintenance of automatic and other fire alarm systems and fire extinguishing equipment;
(4) The maintenance of fire escapes;
(5) The maintenance of exits in case of fire from factories, schools, hotels, lodging houses, asylums, hospitals, churches, halls, theaters, amphitheaters and all other places in which numbers of persons live, work or congregate, from time to time and for any purpose;
(6) The investigation of the cause, origin and circumstances of fires; and
(7) The maintenance of fire cause and loss records.
(C) The Bureau of Fire Prevention shall have other powers and perform other duties as are set forth in the Fire Prevention Code and this chapter, and as may be further conferred and imposed from time to time by law.
(Prior Code, § 7-22) (Ord. 92-26, passed 12-15-1992)