Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Purpose. The purpose of this chapter is to secure and provide for the following goals and policies:
(1) To provide reasonable design standards intended to foster innovative and efficient subdivision and land development and orderly community growth;
(2) To coordinate the provision of public improvements with private development interests;
(3) To encourage subdivision and land development practices that are compatible with nearby development patterns;
(4) To encourage high quality subdivision and land development practice and design so as to minimize disruptions to natural and cultural features, adverse environmental impacts, and risks associated with natural and manmade hazards; and
(5) To reflect and implement relevant City planning documents and policies, including but not limited to the Comprehensive Plan and the City's capital improvement plans and budget.
(1) General rule–compliance required. This chapter shall apply to all subdivisions of land located within the corporate limits of the City, as "subdivision" is defined in Chapter 1213 . No person shall subdivide by deed, plat, instrument of conveyance or otherwise, any tract of land within the City except in conformity with the provisions of this chapter.
(2) Exemptions. This chapter shall not apply to:
A. A change in the boundary between adjoining land or lots that does not create an additional or substandard lot.
B. The division of land into parcels that does not create additional new building sites.
(c) Administration and Review.
(1) Approving agency. This chapter shall be administered by the Planning Commission acting in lieu of the governing body, except as may be otherwise provided in this Code.
(3) Recording of plat. No plat of any subdivision, including a sketch plat or plat map for a minor subdivision, shall be entitled to be recorded in the Summit County recorder's office, or have any validity, until it has been approved in the manner prescribed in this Code. In the event any such unapproved plat is recorded, it shall be considered invalid and the City shall institute proceedings to have the plat stricken from the county's records.
(4) Sale of land in subdivision. No owner or agent of the owner of any land located within a subdivision shall transfer, sell, agree to sell, or negotiate to sell any land by reference to, exhibition of, or use of, a plan or plat of a subdivision before such plat or plan has been approved and recorded in the manner prescribed in this Code. The description of such lot or parcel by metes and bounds in the instrument of transfer or other documents used in the process of selling or transferring shall not exempt the transaction from the provisions of this Code.
(Ord. 18-93. Passed 10-15-19.)