Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Properties to be Assessed. When a sewer system capital improvement paid for by the Sewer Fund or the General Fund of the City either:
(1) Provides for the extension of sewer service to a new service area; or
(2) Substantially improves sewer service to a limited portion of the sewer system; and the area to which service is extended or in which it is substantially improved by the capital improvement is designated as a sewer service improvement area by Council, the users who receive the direct benefit of the extension or improvement shall pay a special sewer investment fee in addition to the general sewer investment fee. An owner of property benefitting from such extension or improvement shall, at the time the property is connected to the City's sewer system or at the time of an increase in the size of the sewer service to the property, pay to the Water Resources Department a fee based upon the proportionate peak demand placed upon the extension or improvement as indicated by the water meter size.
(b) Calculation of Fee. The Finance Director shall calculate special sewer investment fees for each sewer service improvement area designated by Council as follows:
(1) The useable land for each zoning district contained within the sewer service improvement area shall be calculated in accordance with the Zoning Code.
(2) The area of useable land for each zoning district contained within the sewer service improvement area shall be reduced by thirty percent in order to allow for minor undevelopable areas, roadways, drainage systems, easements and irregularities in lot shape. The result shall be considered refined useable land area.
(3) The refined useable land area shall be divided by the minimum lot size for each zoning district within the sewer service improvement area to determine the estimated number of developable lots by residential, business and industrial zoning category.
(4) An equivalent service capacity shall be determined for each sewer service improvement area by multiplying the estimated number of developable residential lots by the equivalence factor of 1.00, the estimated number of developable business lots by the equivalence factor of 2.56, and the estimated number of developable industrial lots by the equivalence factor of 10.24, and calculating the result.
(5) The total cost to the Sewer Fund or the General Fund of the sewer system capital improvement shall be divided by the equivalent service capacity to determine a unit special sewer investment fee for the sewer service improvement area.
(6) The special sewer investment fee for each connection to the sewer system in a sewer service improvement area shall be paid at the time of connection to the City's sewer system based upon the size of the water meter installed multiplied by the equivalence factor for the size meter as provided in Section 1043.03(a)(5) times the special investment fee for the sewer service improvement area in which the property is located.
(Ord. 95-71. Passed 6-21-95.)