Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) No person shall place or dispose of, or permit another to place or dispose of, in any manner any garbage, waste or peelings of vegetables or fruits, rubbish, ashes, cans, bottles, wire, paper, cartons, boxes, parts of automobiles, wagons, furniture, glass, oil or anything else of an unsightly or unsanitary nature along or near or on any public road, street, parkway, park drive, highway, ditch or any land adjoining any public street or highway or ditch, except on land provided by the Planning Commission, by ordinance or by other governmental authority, unless directed to do so by public officials on special clean-up days.
(b) No person shall place, throw, drop, deposit or leave in or upon any part of any street, highway or other public way, place or grounds any refuse, mud, sand, gravel, hay, manure, paint, oil, rock, building material, discarded newspaper, chewing gum, discarded magazine, cup, box, discarded container or any other similar item or particle of any kind or description.
(c) (1) No person shall place, or permit another to place, any refuse in any street, alley or other public place, or upon any private property, whether owned by such person or not, unless it is in proper containers for collection or under express approval granted by the Manager. No person shall throw or deposit, or permit another to throw or deposit, any refuse in any stream or other body of water.
(2) Any unauthorized accumulation of refuse on any premises is hereby declared to be a nuisance and is prohibited.
(3) No person shall cast, place, sweep or deposit anywhere within the Municipality any refuse in such a manner that it may be carried or deposited by the elements upon any street, sidewalk, alley, sewer, parkway or other public way or place, or into any occupied premises within the Municipality.
(d) For the purposes of this section, the following terms, phrases, words and their derivations shall have the meanings given herein. The word "shall" is always mandatory and not merely directory.
(1) "Ashes" means the residue from the burning of wood, coal, coke or other combustible materials.
(2) "Garbage" means putrescible animal and vegetable wastes resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking and consumption of food.
(3) "Refuse" means putrescible and nonputrescible solid wastes (except body wastes), including garbage, rubbish, ashes, street cleanings, dead animals, abandoned automobiles and solid market and industrial wastes.
(4) "Rubbish" means nonputrescible solid wastes, such as paper, cardboard, tin cans, yard clippings, wood, glass, bedding, crockery and similar materials, but specifically excluding controlled compost piles on a person's own property.
(e) Whoever violates any of the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.
(Ord. 76-28. Passed 7-19-76.)