Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Definitions: For the purpose of this section, the following words and terms shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this subsection:
A PERIOD OF EMERGENCY WATER CONDITIONS: Any of the conditions listed in subsection B1 of this section.
SPRINKLING: The transfer of water by means of hoses, tubing, pipes or otherwise from any water source under the control of or supplied by the city waterworks system to any lawn or any outdoor plants or vegetation.
1. Declaration Of Emergency: The mayor or the superintendent of water or their designee is empowered to declare that a state of emergency water condition exists, in his sole discretion, including, but not limited to, whenever any one or more of the following conditions exist:
a. Pump breakdown in wells.
b. Failure in distribution systems of water.
c. Pump breakdown in the water plant.
d. A contamination of the city water supply.
e. A regional water shortage is determined by the state.
f. A local water shortage is determined to exist.
2. Procedures: During the time when the emergency water condition exists, the mayor or superintendent of water or their designee shall take the following steps as deemed necessary:
a. Order closed all commercial car wash facilities.
b. Order closed all commercial laundries.
c. Require the cessation of all water main flushing.
d. Require the cessation of all sewer flushing.
e. Limit the exterior water use by commercial and residential consumers.
f. Limit or cut off the industrial use of water.
g. Lower the distribution system pressure so long as there is enough pressure for adequate fire protection.
3. Notice Of Emergency: Notice of the declared state of emergency water condition must be served either by mail, in person or by posting in city hall of any steps taken in subsection B2 of this section.
4. Shut Off Of Water: The mayor or superintendent of water or their designee may limit or cut off the water supply to any structure which fails to comply with the terms and conditions of this section, with or without notice, until said structure and all facilities thereunder meet with the standards of this section.
C. Outside Water Use: Outside water use is hereby regulated in the following manner:
1. The users of the city waterworks system shall be encouraged to voluntarily regulate their sprinkling to every other day, with the consumers with odd numbered addresses watering on odd numbered days (i.e., 17 Highwood Avenue watering on the first, third, etc.) and even numbered addresses watering on even numbered days (i.e., 300 Green Bay Road on the second, fourth, etc.).
2. All outdoor sprinkling during May, June, July, August and September between the hours of twelve o'clock (12:00) noon and five o'clock (5:00) P.M. (or such other times as prohibited by regulation of the state) is hereby banned. Sprinkling shall be permitted only between the hours of one minute past five o'clock (5:01) P.M. and eleven fifty nine o'clock (11:59) A.M. of the next day, or such other times as may be permitted by regulation through the state.
3. During the period of emergency water conditions, as proclaimed by the mayor of the city pursuant to this section, users of the waterworks system may be required to restrict sprinkling to every other day, with the users with odd numbered addresses watering on odd numbered days (i.e., 17 Highwood Avenue watering on the first and third, etc.) and even numbered addresses watering on even numbered days (i.e., 300 Green Bay Road on the second and fourth, etc.).
4. During a period of extended emergency water conditions as proclaimed by the mayor or superintendent of water or their designee, sprinkling or all or some outside use of water for the duration of the period of extended emergency water conditions may be banned.
5. When such proclamation is made pursuant hereto, the city shall take reasonable steps to communicate same to the public.
D. Violations: For failure to obey an order to limit or cease use of water when the emergency condition or an extended emergency condition exists and any sprinkling which is in violation of this chapter, each hour shall constitute a separate offense. (Ord. 2004-O-8, 1-20-2004)