Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The office of City Manager is hereby established. Qualifications for the office shall include, but not be limited to professional training or administrative qualifications with special reference to actual experience in or knowledge of accepted practice regarding duties of the office and shall also include, but not be limited to:
(1) Being responsible to the Board of Commissioners for the proper administration of all duties imposed upon him by ordinance;
(2) Recommending to the Board, subject to any statute, ordinance, or contract which relates to the appointment, tenure, or removal of any employee, the appointment, and when necessary for the good of the service, the removal of subordinate employees and officers of the city. No officer or employee of the city shall be appointed or removed except through action by the Board, except that the City Manager may fill vacancies in the classified service pending the appointment by the Board and may employ personnel for temporary positions subject to such conditions as may be imposed by the Board;
(3) Preparing the budget, submitting it to the Board, and being responsible for its administration after adoption;
(4) Preparing and submitting to the Board at the end of each fiscal year a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the city for the preceding year;
(5) Keeping the Board advised of the financial condition and future needs of the city and making recommendations as he deems desirable;
(6) Maintaining liaison with related units of local government respecting interlocal contracting and joint activities;
(7) Supervising all departments of city government and the conduct of all city officers and employees under his jurisdiction and requiring each department to make reports to him as required by ordinance or as he deems desirable; and
(8) Performing other duties required of city executive authorities by statute or required of him by the Board not inconsistent with this section.
(B) The Board shall appoint a City Manager by a majority vote of all its members. The City Manager shall be appointed for an indefinite term and may be removed only by a majority vote of all Board members. At least 30 days before such removal shall become effective, the Board shall by a majority vote of all its members adopt a preliminary resolution stating the reasons for his removal. The City Manager may reply in writing and may request a public hearing which shall be held not earlier than 20 days nor later than 30 days after the filing of the request. After the public hearing, if requested, and after full consideration, the Board by majority vote of all its members may adopt a final resolution of removal. By the preliminary resolution the Board may suspend the City Manager from duty, but shall in any event cause to be paid to him any unpaid balance of his compensation and compensation for the next calendar month following adoption of the preliminary resolution.
(C) The City Manager shall be the chief administrative officer and exercise those executive powers and duties delegated to him by ordinance and statute. He shall enforce the City Manager plan, city ordinances, and all applicable statutes. Subject to approval of the Board, the City Manager shall promulgate procedures to insure orderly administration of the functions of city government and compliance with statutes or ordinances. Any delegation of the City Manager's duties or responsibilities to subordinate officers and employees shall be made by municipal order except that all bonds, notes, contracts, and written obligations of the city according to ordinance or resolution shall be made and executed by the Mayor on behalf of the city.
(KRS 83A.150(7) - (9))