Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) A person must pay a registration fee as set forth in the city fee schedule and register with the city on the form promulgated by the Shelter Manager if the person is an adult who is physically present in the city for more than ten days in a calendar year and:
(1) A court has made a final determination that such person has cruelly treated an animal under Tex. Health and Safety Code §§ 821.022 or 821.025, or substantially similar law of another jurisdiction; or
(2) Such person has previously been finally convicted of an offense under Tex. Penal Code § 21.09 (bestiality), Tex. Penal Code § 42.09 (cruelty to livestock animals), Tex. Penal Code § 42.091 (attack on assistance animal), Tex. Penal Code § 42.092 (cruelty to non-livestock animals), Tex. Penal Code § 42.10 (dog fighting),Tex. Penal Code § 42.105 (cockfighting), or Tex. Health and Safety Code Chapter 821 (treatment and disposition of animals), or an offense under the law of any other jurisdiction containing elements that arc substantially similar to the elements of an offense under this division.
(B) The person must satisfy the requirements of this section within:
(1) Thirty days after the effective date of this subchapter, if the final conviction or determination described above occurred prior to the effective date of this subchapter and the person resides in the city on the effective date hereof;
(2) Ten days after the date of the final conviction or determination described above, if such date is after the effective date of this subchapter and the person resides in the city on such date; or
(3) In all other cases, ten days after the date the person arrives in the city.
(C) If any information provided on the person's registration form changes, the person must file a corrected registration form with the Shelter Manager within seven days of the effective date of such change.
(D) The duty of a person to register under this section ends on the third anniversary of the date of the final conviction or determination described in division (A) above, provided that if a person who was previously subject to registration under this section becomes subject to a subsequent final conviction or determination described in division (A) above, the duty to register is extended to the tenth anniversary of the date of the most recent such conviction or determination. When a person is no longer required to register under this section, the Shelter Manager shall remove all information about the person from the Animal Abuser Registry.
(Ord. 2019-10, passed 4-23-19)