Skip to code content (skip section selection)
All powers of the City of Harker Heights and the determination of all matters of policy shall be vested in the City Council. Except where in conflict with and otherwise expressly provided by this charter the City Council shall have all powers authorized to be exercised by the City Council by Chapter 4 of Title 28 Vernon's Annotated Civil Statutes, and acts amendatory thereof and supplementary thereto, now or hereafter enacted. Without limitation of the foregoing and among the other powers that may be exercised by the council, the following are hereby enumerated for greater certainty:
1. Employ and remove City Manager.
2. Establish administrative departments and distribute the work of divisions.
3. Adopt the budget of the City.
4. Authorize the issuance of bonds.
5. Inquire into the conduct of any office, department or agency of the City and make investigations as to municipal affairs.
6. Appoint all boards and commissions including provision for a planning commission, a zoning commission and a zoning board of adjustment, and appoint the members of all such commissions and boards, and as well the members of the hospital board, if a hospital is established. The planning and zoning commissions may be combined. Such boards and commissions shall have all powers and duties now or hereafter conferred and created by this charter, by City ordinance or by law.
7. Adopt plats.
8. Adopt and modify the official map of the City.
9. Adopt, modify, and carry out plans proposed by the planning commission for the clearance of slum districts and rehabilitation of blighted areas.
10. Adopt, modify and carry out plans proposed by the planning commission for the replanning, improvement and redevelopment of neighborhoods and for the replanning, reconstruction or redevelopment of any area or district which may have been destroyed in whole or in part by disaster.
11. Regulate, license and fix the charges or fares made by any person owning, operating or controlling any vehicle of any character used for the carrying of passengers for hire or the transportation of freight for hire on the public streets and alleys of the City.
12. Provide for the establishment and designation of fire limits and to prescribe the kind and character of buildings or structures or improvements to be erected therein, and to provide for the erection of fireproof buildings within certain limits, and to provide for the condemnation of dangerous structures or buildings or dilapidated buildings or buildings calculated to increase the fire hazard, and the manner of their removal or destruction.