Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Whenever a pedestrian-actuated school crossing signal is provided, it requires obedience by vehicular traffic and pedestrians as follows:
(A) Flashing yellow.
(1) When a yellow lens is illuminated with rapid intermittent flashes, drivers or operators of vehicles may proceed through the intersection or pass the signal only with caution.
(2) Pedestrians shall not proceed in conflict with traffic, but may actuate the signal control switch, and shall wait until steady red alone is shown before entering the roadway or intersection controlled by the signal.
(B) Steady yellow alone.
(1) Vehicular traffic facing the signal is thereby warned that the rest or “Stop” signal will be exhibited immediately thereafter, and the vehicular traffic shall not enter or be crossing the intersection or pass the signal when the red or “Stop” signal is exhibited.
(2) No pedestrian shall enter the roadway or intersection on which the signal controls vehicular traffic until steady red alone is shown.
(C) Steady red.
(1) Vehicular traffic facing the signal shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then before passing the signal or entering the intersection, and shall remain standing until flashing yellow is shown alone.
(2) Pedestrians may proceed across the road controlled by the signal and shall be given tie right-of-way by the drivers of all vehicles.
(D) Steady red and steady yellow combined.
(1) Vehicular traffic facing the signal is thereby warned that the flashing yellow signal will be exhibited immediately thereafter, and that the vehicular traffic shall remain standing until the flashing yellow is shown alone.
(2) Pedestrians are thereby warned that the flashing yellow signal is about to be shown, and shall not enter the signal controlled roadway or intersection, or in a direction which conflicts with the movement of vehicular traffic, but any pedestrian who has partially completed his or her crossing shall proceed to the nearest sidewalk or safety island, and shall be given the right-of-way by the drivers of all vehicles.
(`90 Code, § 20-27)