Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Section 71.04 of the Minnesota Basic Code regarding the declaration of a snow emergency and prohibiting certain parking, shall be amended to read in its entirety:
(A) Definition of terms.
(1) The term “vehicle” as used in this section shall mean every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a public roadway, whether or not such vehicle is required to be licensed.
(2) The term “owner” shall include any person, firm, association or corporation owning, leasing, renting or otherwise entrusted with the use and control of a vehicle.
(3) The term “street” or “highway” shall mean the entire width between boundary lines of any way or place when any part thereof is open to the use of the public, as a matter of right, for the purpose of vehicular traffic. Such “ways” are commonly designated as “streets,” “avenues,” “alleys” and “highways.”
(4) The term “snow emergency” shall mean the 48-hour period immediately following a snowfall of two or more inches within a 24-hour period, or such time as is otherwise required to complete snow removal activities on the streets within the City of Grove City, whichever period of time is less.
(B) Winter parking restrictions.
(1) Between December 1 and April 1, no vehicle shall be left parked on any street between the hours of 1:30 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Citizens requiring special handicapped or emergency permits may apply to the Meeker County Sheriff's Office for an exemption.
(2) During a snow emergency, no owner shall park or permit any vehicle to stand upon any street; provided, however, that subject to division (B)(1), parking of vehicles may be resumed on individual streets as soon as all snow removal activity on that street has been completed.
(3) During a snow emergency, any law enforcement officer who finds a vehicle in violation of this section shall attempt to contact the owner of the vehicle and request that the owner immediately move such vehicle so as not to be in violation of this section. If the owner does not immediately remove the vehicle or the owner cannot be located, the officer is authorized to have the vehicle removed at the owner's expense.
(4) Any vehicle towed away and impounded under this section may be claimed and recovered from the city, after payment to the city of all towing and storage charges, or if the vehicle is taken to a private impound lot, upon payment of all towing and storage charges to the private impound lot. The City of Grove City shall not be responsible for any damages resulting from the towing and impoundment procedure.
(C) Removal of snow from private property. No person shall place, or cause to be placed, any snow from private property onto any public property, including streets, boulevards, medians, sidewalks, parking lots, parks or any part thereof, unless authorized by the City Maintenance Department, the Sheriff's deputy, or their duly authorized agents.
(D) Penalties. Any person found violating any provision of this section shall be deemed guilty of a petty misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof, shall be subject to a fine of not more than $300 (United States).
(Ord. 1400.2045, passed 12-12-2003; Am. Ord. 1707.10, passed 10-4-2018)