Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) For the purpose of this section, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
(1) “Gross vehicle weight rating” means the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating established for that vehicle.
(2) “Manufacturer” has the same meaning as in Ohio R.C. 4501.01.
(3) “Multipurpose passenger vehicle” means a motor vehicle with motive power, except a motorcycle, designed to carry ten persons or less, that is constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation.
(4) “Passenger car” means any motor vehicle with motive power, designed for carrying ten persons or less, except a multipurpose passenger vehicle or motorcycle.
(5) “Truck” means every motor vehicle, except trailers and semitrailers, designed and used to carry property and having a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less.
(b) Rules adopted by the Director of Public Safety, in accordance with Ohio R.C. Chapter 119, shall govern the maximum bumper height or, in the absence of bumpers and in cases where bumper height have been lowered or modified, the maximum height to the bottom of the frame rail of any passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle or truck.
(c) No person shall operate upon a street or highway any passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle or truck registered in this State that does not conform to the requirements of this section or any applicable rule adopted pursuant to Ohio R.C. 4513.021.
(d) No person shall modify any motor vehicle registered in this State in such a manner as to cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the ground, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation, and no person shall disconnect any part of the original suspension system of the vehicle to defeat the safe operation of that system.
(e) Nothing contained in this section or in the rules adopted pursuant to Ohio R.C. 4513.021 shall be construed to prohibit either of the following:
(1) The installation upon a passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle or truck registered in this State of heavy duty equipment, including shock absorbers and overload springs.
(2) The operation on a street or highway of a passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, or truck registered in this State with normal wear to the suspension system if the normal wear does not adversely affect the control of the vehicle.
(f) This section and the rules adopted pursuant to Ohio R.C. 4513.021 do not apply to any specially designed or modified passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, or truck when operated off a street or highway in races and similar events.
(g) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.
Maximum height on bumpers, see O.A.C. Chapter 4501-43