Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Subject to the regulations contained in this section, UTV side-by-side vehicles as defined by IC 14-8-2-233.5, are allowed on streets in the city, excluding state highways, subject to the conditions set forth in this section. Four-wheelers are not allowed on the streets of the city.
(B) UTV side-by-side vehicles must be registered annually with the city by the Greensburg Police Department to operate on city streets. To register, each operator must present a VIN#, the make and model number of their UTV side-by-side vehicle, proof of address and contact phone number, proof of insurance, and proof of registration through the Department of Natural Resources, and pay a processing fee in the sum of $35. This processing fee shall be paid annually. Processing fee shall be paid to the Greensburg Clerk-Treasurer’s office. Each vehicle will be visibly inspected for compliance with all Indiana laws and ordinances. Inspections shall occur at the Greensburg Police Department at a date and time to be determined by the Greensburg Chief of Police and posted at the Greensburg police station. Upon registration and inspection, the operator will be provided with a license plate specific to that vehicle. The license plate provided by the Greensburg Police Department shall always be displayed prominently on the rear of the vehicle while on city streets. All funds received from registration and issuance of license plate shall be deposited into the General Fund for the City of Greensburg and allocated to recoup costs of the UTV license registration process and other public safety projects.
(C) UTV side-by-side vehicle operators must have proof of valid insurance covering his or her vehicle in an amount greater than or equal to the Indiana state automotive insurance minimums as set forth in IC 9-25-4-5 when operated on city streets.
(D) All UTV side-by-side vehicle operators on city streets must comply with the following:
(1) The operator must be at least 18 years of age or older and have a valid Indiana operator’s license;
(2) No passengers are permitted on a single seat UTV side-by- side vehicle. Passengers on all other UTV side-by-side vehicles are limited to the number of passenger seats on the vehicle. Any passenger under the age of 18 years of age shall wear a safety helmet in accordance with Indiana state law;
(3) UTV side-by-side vehicles must have working turn signals, two operating headlights, and one tail brake light when in operation on city streets;
(4) No UTV side-by-side vehicles are permitted on city streets from midnight to 6:00 a.m.;
(5) UTV side-by-side vehicles must travel single-file on city streets.
(E) Failure to abide by any of the conditions of § 71.11 when a UTV side-by-side vehicle is in use on city streets shall constitute a violation of this section.
(F) Enforcement of this section shall be conducted pursuant to IC 34-28-5.
(Ord. 2019-40, passed 3-2-20) Penalty, see § 71.99