Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Established: The officers of the commission shall consist of a chair, a vice chair and a secretary. The secretary shall not be a member of the commission. (1978 Code § 2-1-4)
1. Chair: At the time of making the appointments to the plan commission, one member shall be designated as chair of the plan commission by the village president to serve a one year term. The chair may be reappointed to succeeding terms by the village president. The commission shall annually recommend a member of the commission to the village president for appointment as chair of the commission. This recommendation shall be advisory only. (1978 Code § 2-1-4-1)
2. Vice Chair: In the event that the member so recommended by the commission is not appointed by the village president as chair, that member so recommended shall assume the office of vice chair of the commission. In the event that the member so recommended is appointed as chair by the village president, the position of vice chair of the commission shall be filled by election by the commission members. Such election shall be held at the first regular meeting after the appointment of a chair. The vice chair shall serve for a one year term. The vice chair may serve succeeding terms pursuant to this subsection A2. In the event the office of chair is vacated, the vice chair shall assume the duties of the chair until such time as the village president shall appoint a successor chair. In the event the office of vice chair is vacated, a successor vice chair shall be elected by the commission members at the next regular meeting of the commission. (1978 Code § 2-1-4-2)
3. Secretary: The secretary of the commission shall be hired by the village president, with the advice and consent of the board of trustees, and the secretary shall not be a member of the commission. (1978 Code § 2-1-4-3)
B. Duties: The commission officers shall have the following duties:
a. The chair shall preside at all regular and special meetings of the plan commission.
b. The chair shall generally supervise the business of the plan commission.
c. The chair shall appoint committees and their chairpersons, and request volunteers for those committee positions.
d. The chair may serve as an ex officio member of any committee but shall not serve as chair of any committee.
e. The chair may seek the advice or input of citizens with experience or expertise on any matter before the commission, but such advice shall be sought and rendered on a voluntary and unpaid basis.
f. The chair may consult with the village attorney in all cases where the powers and duties of the commission are not clearly defined. All questions to the village attorney shall be directed through the commission chair. (1978 Code § 2-1-6-1)
2. Vice Chair: The duties of the vice chair shall be:
a. To preside at any regular or special meeting where the chair is absent.
b. To perform such other duties as assigned by the chair. (1978 Code § 2-1-6-2)
3. Secretary: The duties of the secretary shall be to attend all regular and special meetings of the commission, to keep the minutes of those meetings and to distribute said minutes to the commission members within seven (7) calendar days of each meeting. (1978 Code § 2-1-6-3)