Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) General prohibitions. No person shall bicycle anywhere in the city without complying with the terms of this section.
(B) Due care for safety. No person shall ride a bicycle in a reckless manner within the city. No person shall ride a bicycle or bicycle ride without exercising due care for the safety of other persons and property.
(C) Sidewalks. It shall be unlawful to ride any bicycle upon any sidewalk within the Business District as defined herein.
(D) Traffic rules.
(1) All on-street operation of bicycles shall be conducted as far to the right of the traffic lane as possible, in a single file and flowing with traffic.
(2) All operations of bicycles shall be during daylight hours unless the operator has some type of reflective clothing or reflective strips on his or her clothing which can be seen from a distance of 500 feet to the rear and side.
(3) No person operating a bicycle shall attach himself or herself to any vehicle upon a roadway.
(4) All operations shall be consistent with the rules of the road established for bicycles.
(E) Prohibition in certain designated areas.
(1) Business District. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate or ride a bicycle equipped with grinding pegs in the Business District or in any city park except in areas specifically designated. The BUSINESS DISTRICT is defined for the purpose of this section as the area bounded by Highway 20, Meeker Street, Water Street and Bench Street, including Washington Park to the Galena River.
(2) Posted private property. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate or ride a bicycle equipped with grinding pegs on private property where a sign prohibiting such use has been posted by the owner, lessee or person in charge of the property.
(F) Restrictions on the use of bicycles on public steps, park benches and walls. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a bicycle with or without grinding pegs on public steps, city walls, railings, park benches or picnic tables anywhere in the city.
(G) Use of helmets. Any person operating a bicycle shall wear a helmet while inside the confines of the Galena Skate Park at Recreation Park.
(H) Parent's responsibility. The parent of any child and the guardian of any ward shall not authorize or knowingly permit any child or ward to violate any of the provisions of this section.
(I) Agreement for impoundment.
(1) In place of any other penalty provided by law, any person violating this section may, for a first offense, agree to have the bicycle impounded by the Police Department for one week.
(2) In place of any other penalty provided by law, any person violating this section may, for a second offense, agree to have the bicycle impounded by the Police Department for two weeks.
(3) In place of any other penalty provided by law, any person violating this section may, for a third or subsequent offense, agree to have the bicycle impounded by the Police Department for four weeks.
(J) Penalties. Any person convicted of violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than $25 and no more than $500.
(Ord. O-03-15, passed 5-27-03; Am. Ord. O-04-19, passed 8-23-04) Penalty, see § 10.99