Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The purposes of this subchapter are to:
(1) Minimize the impacts of small wireless facilities on surrounding areas by establishing standards for location, structural integrity, and compatibility;
(2) Encourage the location of small wireless facilities on existing structures, thereby minimizing new visual, aesthetic, and public safety impacts, and to reduce the need for additional antenna-supporting structures;
(3) Encourage coordination between suppliers of small wireless facilities in the town and its extraterritorial jurisdiction;
(4) Accommodate the growing demand for wireless services and the resulting need for small wireless facilities;
(5) Regulate in accordance with all applicable federal and state laws;
(6) Establish review procedures that ensure that applications for small wireless facilities are reviewed and acted upon with a reasonable period of time or any specific period of time required by law;
(7) Protect the unique aesthetics of the town while allowing its citizens and businesses to access the benefits of wireless communications services; and
(8) Encourage the use of existing buildings and structures as locations for small wireless facilities infrastructure as a method to minimize the aesthetic impact of related infrastructure.
(B) It is not the purpose or intent of this subchapter to prohibit or have the effect of prohibiting wireless communications services; unreasonably discriminating among providers of functionally equivalent wireless communications services; regulate the placement, construction, or modification of wireless communications facilities on the basis of environmental effects of radio frequency emissions where it is demonstrated that the small wireless facility does or will comply with applicable FCC regulations; or to prohibit or effectively prohibit collocations or modifications that the town must approve under state or federal law. The provisions of this subchapter are in addition to, and do not replace, any obligations an applicant may have under any franchises, licenses, encroachments, or other permits issued by the town.
(Ord. 2018-002, passed 4-2-18)