1464.03   DEFINITIONS.
   For the purposes of this chapter, certain words and terms used herein shall be interpreted or defined as follows:
   (a)   “Base flood (100-year flood)” means a flood having a 1% chance of being equaled or exceeded in any given year, or of a magnitude that may be equaled or exceeded once in any 100-year period.
   (b)   “Development” means any man-made change to improved or unimproved real estate, including but not limited to, bank stabilization, dredging, filling, grading, paving, or excavation, but not including buildings or other structures.
   (c)   “Flood” and “flooding”mean a general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of normally dry land areas from the unusual and rapid accumulation of runoff of surface waters from any source.
   (d)   “Flood boundary and floodway map” means an official map of the Village in which the Federal Emergency Management Agency has delineated both the floodway and floodway fringe.
   (e)   “Flood insurance rate map (FIRM)” means an official map of the Village on which the Federal Emergency Management Agency has delineated both the areas of special flood hazards and the risk premium zones applicable to the Village.
   (f)   “Flood insurance study” means the official report for the Village by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and consisting of flood profiles, as well as the flood boundary and floodway map and the water surface elevation of the base flood.
   (g)   “Flood plain” and “flood hazard area” mean land that on the basis of available information would be subject to inundation during a base flood event.
   (h)   “Floodway” means the channel of a river or other watercourse and the adjacent land area which must be reserved in order to discharge the base flood.
   (i)   “Floodway fringe” means the land area between the floodway and the boundary of the flood plain.
   (j)   “New construction” means structures for which the start of construction commenced on or after the effective date of this chapter.
   (k)   “Structure” means any assembly or building materials, logs, bituminous material, cement or rock forming a construction for use, including bridges, dams, walls, docks, platforms, paving areas, fences and the like, which would interfere in any way with the flow of water.
(Ord. 131.  Passed 3-19-79; Ord. 2014-02.  Passed 3-10-14.)