Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The City Manager or designee shall be responsible for the administration and enforcement of this code. In accordance with approved procedures, the City Manager may employ qualified officers, inspectors, assistants, and other employees as shall be necessary to carry out the provisions of this section.
(B) The City Manager shall designate in writing the appropriate department responsible for the administration and enforcement of any provisions of the code.
(C) The City Manager or Council may add other and additional duties and regulations to the enforcement and administration responsibilities of any department.
(D) In order to carry out the duties set forth in division (B) above, the director of any department designated for the administration and enforcement for any provisions of the code may:
(1) Adopt written policies and procedures for the enforcement of applicable code provisions and laws; and
(2) Establish enforcement priorities based on the number of personnel, public safety, and welfare factors as well as such priorities as may be established by City Council.
(E) In order to gain compliance with the provisions for which a department is given responsibility, the director (or his or her delegate) of said department may do any or all of the following:
(1) Obtain voluntary compliance;
(2) Cause appropriate action to be instituted in a court of competent jurisdiction (including the Municipal Court);
(3) Issue code violation citation(s) to the person(s) responsible for the violation; and
(4) Take such other action as the director, in the exercise of his or her discretion, deems appropriate.
(F) The director or designee may enter property (including the interior of structures) at all reasonable times whenever an inspection is deemed necessary to enforce any regulation under said department’s jurisdiction as set forth in division (B) above.
(G) In the case of entry into areas of property that are plainly enclosed to create privacy and prevent access by unauthorized persons, the following steps shall be taken:
(1) If any structure on the property is occupied, the director shall first present proper credentials and request entry. If entry is refused, the director may attempt to obtain entry by obtaining an inspection warrant; or
(2) If the property is unoccupied, the director shall contact the property owner (or other person(s) having charge or control thereof) and request entry; if refused, the director may obtain entry through an inspection warrant.
(Prior Code, § 2.990) (Ord. 2005-20, passed 11-28-2005)