A. 1. The Civil Service Commission shall serve in the interest of all the citizens of the City, and shall consist of individuals selected on the basis of their reputation for fair-mindedness and objectivity.
2. There are three (3) classes of Civil Service Commission members:
a. Employee representatives:
b. Administration representatives; and
c. Public-at-large representatives.
3. Members shall be chosen in the following manner:
a. Employee representatives: The City shall, by ordinance, provide for the nomination and election by City employees of two (2) employee representatives. One (1) such representative shall be chosen solely by the employees of the Board of Hospital Managers and one (1) shall be chosen by all other City employees.
b. Administration representatives: The Mayor shall appoint two (2) administration representatives. One (1) of these shall be selected by the Mayor from a list of three (3) names submitted by the Board of Hospital Managers.
c. The four (4) members chosen under paragraphs (a) and (b) above shall, within thirty (30) days, unanimously select three (3) persons as public-at-large representatives.
d. At such time as the Board of Hospital Managers is not under the jurisdiction of the City of Flint, the Civil Service Commission representatives from the Board on the Civil Service Commission shall terminate and said positions shall thereupon be filled in the manner prescribed for the remaining employee and administration representatives.
4. Except as limited in Sec. 5-101 (A)(3)(d), any vacancies arising shall be filled within thirty (30) days in the same manner as initial selection and only for the unexpired term.
5. No member of the Commission shall be a City employee during his or her term of office.
6. A member of the Commission must be a resident of the City.
7. The chairperson and other officers of the Civil Service Commission shall be chosen from among the public-at-large representatives.
B. Terms of initial appointment.
1. The person chosen by the employees of the Board of Hospital Managers shall have an initial term of three (3) years. The person chosen by all other City employees shall have an initial term of five (5) years.
2. The administration representatives chosen from the list submitted by the Board of Hospital Managers shall have an initial term of three (3) years and the other administration representatives shall have an initial term of one (1) year.
3. Those chosen as public-at-large representatives shall have initial terms of one (1), two (2), and four (4) years.
4. As initial terms expire, appointments shall be for five (5) year terms.
1. Members of the Civil Service Commission shall be subject to removal from office for cause by a vote of three-fourths (3/4) of members serving on the City Council.
2. Such removal may occur only after written notice of reasons for removal are delivered to the person at least one (1) month prior to the date of a public hearing conducted in accordance with due process of law.
(Adopted by the electorate, 11-5-1974)