Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Duties. The Director of Law shall be the head of the Department of Law. The Director of Law shall:
(1) Be the legal adviser of and attorney and counsel for the City and for all officers, boards, commissions and divisions thereof, in all matters relating to their official duties, and shall, when requested, give legal opinions in writing;
(2) Represent the City in all suits or cases in which it may be a party and shall prosecute for all offenses against the ordinances of the City and such offenses against the laws of Ohio as may be required of him/her;
(3) On request of the Mayor or Council, prepare contracts, legislation, bonds and other instruments in writing in which the City is concerned, and shall endorse on each his/her approval of the form and corrections thereof;
(4) Perform such other duties as the Mayor or Council may impose upon him/her in writing, consistent with his/her office.
(b) Compensation. The Director of Law shall be paid as follows:
(1) A retainer of fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000.00) per year in equal bi-weekly installments for the preparation of legislation and attendance at all regularly scheduled Council legislative meetings and committee meetings as directed.
(2) An hourly rate of one hundred and twenty five dollars ($125.00) per hour for all other time devoted to the duties designated pursuant to subsection (a) of this code section (excluding the time devoted to preparation of legislation and attendance at all regularly scheduled Council legislative and committee meetings) upon the submission of reasonably detailed documented time records to the Director of Finance.
(c) Application of Law. The Director of Law shall be subject to Ohio R.C. 145.01 et seq., but shall not be entitled to any other benefits from the City.
(Ord. 1989-141. Passed 10-23-89; Ord. 2000-110A. Passed 12-18-00; Ord. 2013-004A. Passed 4-15-13.)