Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Home occupations are permitted in any dwelling in any residential zoning district when carried on solely by members of the family residing therein. No wholesale, jobbing or retail business shall be permitted, unless it is conducted entirely by mail, computer, and/or telephone and does not involve the receipt, sale, shipment, delivery, or storage of merchandise on or from the premises. Home occupations requiring a state or local license and/or inspection for occupancy shall not be permitted. Permitted home occupations include the following:
(1) Professional office or service provided that such services limit the number of clients to one at a time.
(2) Personal service type occupations including tailor or personal shopper.
(3) An office for a minister, rabbi, priest or other clergyman.
(4) A studio for an artist, sculptor or author.
(5) Music teaching or other type of instruction provided that such teaching or instruction is limited to one pupil at a time.
(b) In addition to all of the standards applicable to the district in which it is located, all home occupations shall comply with the following requirements:
(1) No person other than members of the immediate family occupying such dwelling shall be employed.
(2) No exterior alteration of the principal building shall be made which changes the character as a dwelling.
(3) No home occupation shall occupy more than 25% of the floor area of the dwelling unit in which it is located.
(4) No mechanical or electrical equipment may be used, except such type as is customary for purely domestic or hobby purposes.
(5) No home occupation shall be operated in such a manner as to cause offensive noise, vibration, odors, smoke or other particulate matter, heat, humidity, glare, electronic interference or otherwise constitute a nuisance or safety hazard to the occupants of nearby properties.
(6) No outdoor storage shall be permitted.
(7) No home occupation shall be conducted in any accessory building.
(8) No sign shall be displayed other than what may be permitted in the Chapter 1131: Signs, sufficient to display the name of the person and the type of home occupation.
(Ord. 34-17. Effective 12-7-17.)