Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Satellite antenna receiving systems are antennas designed to receive broadcasts from satellites in stationary earth orbit and convert these broadcasts into usable television signals. Satellite antennas shall be permitted to be installed as accessory structures for any permitted use of any zoning district. It shall comply with the following rules:
(a) For all residential districts, the following shall apply to the installation of any satellite antenna receiving dish exceeding one meter (39.37 inches) in diameter:
(1) When roof mounted, satellite antennas shall be mounted only on the rear portion as viewed from the front yard.
(2) When ground mounted, it shall be located only in the rear yard as permitted under Section 1128.04: Accessory Structures.
(3) The diameter of the satellite antenna dish shall not exceed three feet.
(b) For all districts the following shall apply:
(1) All satellite antennas shall be properly grounded and meet all National Electrical Code requirements.
(2) All satellite dish systems shall be engineered to withstand snow and wind loads designated in the Ohio Basic Building Code.
A. Any satellite receiving dish exceeding one meter (39.37 inches) in diameter, which is located on the roof of any structure within the City, shall be permitted upon presentation of a plan by a registered engineer or architect. The plan shall show the roof and satellite dish are able to withstand snow and wind loads designated in the Ohio Basic Building Code.
B. Any dish one meter (39.37 inches) or less in diameter which is mounted on the roof of a structure shall be mounted in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations for installation and properly secured to the structure so as to prevent damage from wind or snow loads.
C. Any ground mounted satellite dish exceeding one meter (39.37 inches) in diameter shall be anchored by one cubic yard of Portland cement concrete beginning below the frost line, or any other method which can be demonstrated to meet wind load requirements of the Ohio Basic Building Code.
(3) All satellite dishes shall be located:
A. Outside any utility, stormwater or access easement;
B. A minimum of ten feet, measured horizontally from suspended electrical wires; and
C. Fifteen feet from public rights-of-way in nonresidential areas.
(c) A permit shall be required by any person installing a satellite antenna, greater than one meter (39.37 inches) in diameter, prior to installation. An applicant shall provide installation instructions and/or sketches. When proposing to ground mount a satellite antenna, an applicant shall provide a site plan showing antenna in relation to buildings, structures, easements, electrical lines and property line.
(Ord. 34-17. Effective 12-7-17.)