Skip to code content (skip section selection)
In the construction of the Codified Ordinances, the following rules shall control, except those inconsistent with the manifest intent of Council as disclosed in a particular provision, section or code:
(1) Calendar; Computation of Time. "Month" or "year" means the calendar month or year. The time expressed in days within which an act is to be done or a period is to expire shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day, except if the last is a Sunday or holiday as specified by the Ohio Revised Code, it shall be excluded. If time is expressed in hours, the whole of Sunday shall be excluded.
(2) City. "City" means the City of Fairborn, Ohio.
(3) Conjunctions. "And" includes "or" and "or" includes "and", if the sense so requires.
(4) Council. "Council" means the Council of the City of Fairborn, Ohio.
(5) Gender. Words importing the masculine extend and are applied to the feminine and neuter genders.
(6) General Rule. Except as otherwise provided in this section, words and phrases shall be construed according to the common usage of language, provided, however, that technical words and phrases and such others as may have acquired a special meaning in the law shall be construed according to such technical or special meaning. Whenever in the Codified Ordinances authority is given to an officer or an act is required to be performed, such authority may be exercised and such act may be performed, at the instance of such officer, by a deputy or subordinate, unless contrary to law or to the clear intent of any such particular provision.
(7) Joint Authority. Words giving authority to a board, commission or to three or more City officers or employees, or other persons, shall be construed as giving authority to a majority thereof, unless otherwise specifically provided.
(8) Number. Words in the plural include the singular and in the singular include the plural number.
(9) Owner. "Owner", when applied to property, includes any part owner, joint owner or tenant in common of the whole or any part of such property.
(10) Person. "Person" extends to and is applied to associations, clubs, corporations, firms and partnerships, as well as to individuals.
(11) Premises. "Premises" when used as applicable to property, extends to and includes land and buildings.
(12) Public Authority. "Public authority" extends to and includes the Fairborn City School District, the City, the County Commissioners, the State of Ohio, the United States of America and any duly authorized public official.
(13) Property. "Property" includes real and personal, and any mixed and lesser estates or interests therein; "persona] property" includes every kind of property except real property, and "real property" includes lands, tenements and hereditaments.
(14) Reasonable Time. In all cases where provision is made for an act to be done or notice to be given within a reasonable time, it shall be deemed to mean such time only as may be necessary for the prompt performance of such act or giving of such notice.
(15) Sidewalk. "Sidewalk" means that portion of the street, located between the curb line and the line of the next adjacent property, intended for use by pedestrians, and where actually constructed and installed.
(16) Street. "Street" means and includes alleys, avenues, boulevards, lanes, roads, streets and other public ways in the City.
(17) Tenant or Occupant. "Tenant" or "occupant", as applied to a building or land, extends and applies to any person holding a written or oral lease of or who occupies the whole or any part of a building or land, alone or with others.
(18) Tenses. The use of any verb in the present tense shall include the future.
(Ord. 37-55. Passed 8-15-55.)