Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The City Manager shall be the chief administrative officer of the City. He/she shall be responsible to the Council for the administration of all City affairs placed in his/her charge by or under this Charter. He/she shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) He/she shall appoint and, when he/she deems it necessary for the good of the service, discipline, suspend or remove any or all City employees and appointive administrative officers provided for by or under this Charter, except as otherwise provided by this Charter or personnel rules and regulations adopted pursuant to this Charter. He/she may authorize any administrative officer who is subject to his/her direction and supervision to exercise these powers with respect to subordinates in that officer's department, division or agency. However, he/she shall have the exclusive right to appoint, discipline, suspend or remove employees of the City in the classified service. The tenure of all City employees and appointive administrative officers in the service of the City shall be during good behavior and efficient service and no such officer or employee shall be disciplined, suspended or removed except for incompetency, inefficiency, dishonesty, drunkenness, immoral conduct, insubordination, discourteous treatment of the public, misuse or abuse of City material, property or equipment, neglect of duty, violation of personnel rules and regulations as established by City Council, or any other failure of good behavior, or any other acts of misfeasance, malfeasance or nonfeasance in the performance of his/her duty.
(2) He/she shall direct and supervise the administration of all departments, divisions and agencies of the City, except as otherwise provided by this Charter.
(3) He/she shall attend all Council meetings and shall have the right to take part in discussion but may not vote.
(4) He/she shall see that all laws, provisions of this Charter and acts of the Council, subject to enforcement by him/her or by officers subject to his/her direction and supervision, are faithfully executed.
(5) He/she shall prepare and submit the annual budget and capital program to the Council.
(6) He/she shall submit to the Council and make available to the public a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the City as of the end of each fiscal year.
(7) He/she shall make such other reports as the Council may require concerning the operations of City departments, divisions and agencies subject to his/her direction and supervision.
(8) He/she shall keep the Council fully advised as to the financial condition and future needs of the City and make such recommendations to the Council concerning the affairs of the City as he/she deems desirable.
(9) He/she shall have supervision of the preparation and certification of all special assessments for public improvements; and the mailing of notices of such assessments to property owners and all other duties connected therewith; the collection of such assessments as are payable directly to the City and the preparation and certification of all unpaid assessments to the County Auditor for collection. He/she shall collect all fees for licenses issued under authority of the Council and shall pay the same into the City Treasury in the manner provided by ordinance.
(10) He/she shall perform such other duties as are specified in this Charter or may be required by the Council.