Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The Recreation and Parks Commission is hereby created and shall consist of nine members.
('63 Code, § 11-4.01)
(B) The Recreation and Parks Commission shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) To serve in an advisory capacity to the Council, the City Manager, and the Director of Public Works in all matters pertaining to public recreation, public parks, squares, and grounds;
(2) To make recommendations to the Council, the City Manager, and the Director of Public Works with respect to the provisions of the annual budget for recreation and park purposes;
(3) To accept and reject offers of donations of money, personal property, and real estate to be used for recreation and park purposes, subject to approval by the Council;
(4) To prepare and recommend to the Council, the City Manager, and the Director of Public Works a comprehensive municipal recreation and park program for the inhabitants of the city, to promote and stimulate public interest therein, and to solicit to the fullest possible extent the cooperation of school authorities and other public and private agencies interested therein;
(5) To establish schedules of charges for services rendered by the Department of Public Works, subject to approval by the Council;
(6) To prepare and recommend for adoption by the Council rules and regulations for the use and improvement of public parks and recreation areas, squares, and grounds in the city, including playgrounds, concessions, and recreational facilities and programs installed and maintained therein;
(7) To prepare and recommend to the Council, the City Manager, and the Director of Public Works policies for the acquisition, development, and improvement of parks and recreation areas; and,
(8) To perform such other duties relating to recreation and park matters as may be prescribed by the Council.
('63 Code, § 11-4.02)
(Ord. 2874, passed 7-18-61; Am. Ord. 375-C.S., passed 10-19-82)