1062.02   DEFINITIONS.
   As used in this chapter:
   (a)   “Aluminum cans” means empty all-aluminum beverage and food containers.
   (b)   “Bimetallic cans” means empty food and beverage containers consisting of ferrous sides and bottom and an aluminum top.
   (c)   “Commercial establishment” means those properties used primarily for commercial or industrial purposes and those multiple dwelling residential buildings containing four or more dwelling units.
   (d)   “Community activity” means an activity or event sponsored or organized by a public or private nonprofit organization for recreational, educational, cultural or civic purposes, which may be attended by 200 or more members of the public per day, whether or not an entrance or participation fee is charged therefor.
   (e)   “Contracted hauler” means the waste and refuse hauler contracted by the Borough to serve residential and Municipal properties.
   (f)   “Corrugated paper” means that structural paper material consisting of two or more pieces of kraft liner separated by a corrugated inner core shaped in rigid parallel furrows and ridges. Excluded are materials without a corrugated inner liner, and those materials with a corrugated liner made from rice or other non-wood-based materials.
   (g)   “Curbside collection” means the collection by the Municipality or its agent or agents of recyclable materials placed at the curbside or other designated location.
   (h)   “Ferrous cans” means empty steel or tin food or beverage containers.
   (i)   “Glass containers” means bottles and jars made of clear, green or brown glass. Expressly excluded are non-container glass, plate glass, automotive glass, blue glass and porcelain and ceramic products.
   (j)   “High grade office paper” means any white paper and computer paper, other than newsprint, magazines or other chemically coated paper or corrugated paper, of the type commonly used for letter-writing stationery, note paper, plain paper photocopying machines, computer printers and other general purpose paper, whether or not any printed or written matter is contained thereon. Expressly excluded are papers with self carbons, carbon paper, envelopes and all other grades of papers not meeting the specifications in the regulations.
   (k)   “Institutional establishment” means those facilities that house or serve groups of people, e.g. hospitals, schools, nursing homes, churches and social or fraternal societies and organizations.
   (l)   “Leaf waste” means leaves from trees, bushes and other plants, garden residue, chipped shrubbery and tree trimmings and similar material, but not including grass clippings.
   (m)   “Magazines” and “periodicals” mean printed matter containing miscellaneous written pieces published at fixed or varying intervals. Expressly excluded, however, are all other paper products of any nature whatsoever.
   (n)   “Multifamily housing property” means a type of residential property, either under single ownership or organized as a condominium or cooperative form of housing, which contains four or more dwelling units.
   (o)   “Municipal establishments” means public facilities operated by the Municipality and other governmental and quasi-governmental authorities.
   (p)   “Municipality” means the Borough of Ellwood City, Lawrence and Beaver Counties, Pennsylvania.
   (q)   “Newspapers” means paper of the type commonly referred to as newsprint and distributed at fixed intervals, having printed thereon news and opinions, containing advertisements and other matters of public interest. Expressly excluded, however, are glossy advertising inserts and newspapers which have been soiled.
   (r)   “Person” means the owner, lessee or occupant of a residence or commercial or institutional establishment.
   (s)   “Plastic containers” means empty plastic food and beverage containers. Due to the large variety of types of plastics, the recycling regulations shall stipulate the specific types of plastic which may be recycled.
   (t)   “Recyclable materials” means those materials specified as necessary by the Municipality to be recycled. The list of materials shall be specified in the recycling regulations authorized to be promulgated under this chapter and may be revised from time to time as deemed necessary by the Municipality.
   (u)   “Residence” means any occupied single or multifamily dwelling from which a Municipal or private waste hauler collects solid waste.
   (v)   “Solid waste” means all refuse (garbage and rubbish) and other discarded solid material normally collected by a municipality or a private hauler. The term does not include source-separated recyclable materials or material approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Resources for beneficial use.
   (w)   “Steel cans” means empty food or beverage containers made of steel or tin-coated steel.
   (x)   “Yard waste” means prunings, grass clippings, waste, leaves and garden waste. (Ord. 2079. Passed 10-22-90.)