Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Scope. Unless otherwise expressly stated, the following terms, for the purposes of this Property Maintenance Code, shall have the meanings shown in this Chapter.
(b) Terms Defined in Other Codes. Where terms are not defined in this Code, but are defined in the codes referenced in Chapter 1367, such terms shall have the meanings ascribed to them as in those codes.
(c) Reference. A Glossary of Zoning, Development and Planning Terms from American Planning Association, Planning Advisory Service, Report Number 491/492, or any updated version of said publication, shall be referred to in defining other terms not specifically included in this Chapter.
(d) Terms Not Defined. Where terms are not defined through the methods authorized by this Chapter, such terms shall have ordinarily accepted meanings such as the context implies.
(e) Parts. Whenever the words “Boarding House,” “Dwelling,” “Premises,” “Building,” “Rooming House,” “Rooming Unit,” “Story” or “Structure” are stated in this Code, they shall be construed as though they were followed by the words “or any part thereof.”
(f) Interpretation. For the purposes of this Code, the following terms, phrases, words and their derivations shall be interpreted as follows:
(1) Words used in the singular shall include the plural, and the plural the singular;
(2) Words used in the present tense shall include the future tense;
(3) Words in the masculine gender shall include the feminine and the neuter;
(4) The words “shall” and “will” are mandatory and not discretionary;
(5) The word “may” is permissive.
(Ord. 04-36. Passed 1-18-05.)