Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Power And Duties:
1. Work Hours: The efficient and faithful discharge of the duties of the Office of Mayor shall be a full time elected position.
2. Chief Administrator: The Mayor shall be the chief administrative official of the City, preside over the meetings of the City Council and determine the order of business subject to such rules as the council may prescribe, have a vote only when the council is equally divided, have the superintending control of all of the officers and affairs of the city, preserve order, and take care that the ordinances of the city, and the provisions of the Idaho state law governing municipal corporations are complied with.
3. Special Meetings: The mayor shall have the power to call special meetings of the city council; the call and object, as well as the disposition thereof, shall be entered upon the journal by the city clerk. One-half (1/2) plus one of the members of the full council shall also have the power to call special meetings of the city council; the call and object, as well as the disposition thereof, shall be entered upon the journal by the city clerk.
4. Communication With City Council: The mayor shall, from time to time, communicate to the city council such information and recommend such measures as, in the mayor's opinion, may tend to the improvement of the finances, the protection, the health, the security, the ornament, the comfort and the general welfare and prosperity of the city.
5. Membership On Committees And Commissions: The mayor shall be an ex officio member of all committees and commissions existing under this code.
6. Complaints: The mayor shall examine the grounds of all complaints against any of the officers of the city to determine existence of a violation or neglect of duty and report the evidence thereof, if deemed sufficient for the removal of said officer, to the council.
7. Officer's Expiration Of Term, Resignation Or Removal: The mayor shall require that every officer, on the expiration of his/her term of office or resignation or removal from the same, deliver to his/her successor all monies, books, paper, maps, plats, furniture, fixtures, apparatus, machinery, tools and instruments and appurtenances belonging to the city.
8. To Sign Contracts, Borrow Money: The mayor is authorized and empowered to sign his/her name officially for and on behalf of the city on all contracts including deeds, bonds, bills, notes, obligations and other agreements, documents and papers to which the city is a party, and to require that the conditions in the said instruments are faithfully performed, and to borrow money on the credit of the city when authorized by the council.
9. Accounts And Reports Of Officers: The mayor shall have the power, when s/he deems it necessary, to require any officer of the city to exhibit his/her accounts or other papers and to make reports to the council in writing, touching any subject or matter s/he may require pertaining to his/her office.
10. May Require Aid: The mayor is hereby authorized to call on every male inhabitant in the city over eighteen (18) years of age and under the age of fifty (50) years, to aid in enforcing the laws.
11. Additional Powers: The mayor shall perform all of the duties required of mayors under the provisions of chapters 3 and 6, title 50, Idaho Code, and such other duties as may be reasonably required by the city council of the city.
B. Police Powers, Jurisdiction 1 : The mayor shall have such jurisdiction as may be vested in him/her by ordinance over all places within five (5) miles of the corporate limits of the city, for the enforcement of any health or quarantine ordinance and regulation thereof, and shall have jurisdiction in all matters vested in him/her by ordinance, except taxation, within one mile of the corporate limits of the city and over such properties as may be owned by the city without the corporate limits.
C. Term Of Office: The term of the mayor of the city shall be four (4) years. (Ord. 525, 8-16-2005)
1. IC § 50-606.