A.   An appeal from any action, decision, ruling, judgment or order of the board of adjustment may be taken by any person or persons, jointly or severally, or any taxpayer, or any officer, department, board or bureau of the city to the district court by filing notice of appeal with the city clerk and with the board of adjustment within ten (10) days from the filing of the decision of the board of adjustment which notice shall specify the grounds of such appeal. Upon filing of the notice of appeal as herein provided, the board of adjustment shall forthwith transmit to the court clerk of the county the original or certified copy of all the papers constituting the record in the case, together with the order, decision or ruling of the board of adjustment.
   B.   An appeal to the district court from the board of adjustment stays all proceedings in furtherance of the action appealed from unless the chairman of the board of adjustment, from which the appeal is taken, certifies to the court clerk, after the notice of appeal shall have been filed, that by reason of facts stated in the certificate a stay, in his opinion, would cause imminent peril to life or property. In such case proceedings shall not be stayed otherwise than by a restraining order which may be granted by the district court upon application or notice to the administrative officer in charge of the enforcement of the terms and provisions of the ordinance, and upon notice to the chairman of the board of adjustment from which the appeal is taken, and upon due cause being shown, the court may reverse or affirm, wholly or partly, or modify the decision brought up for review. (Prior code § 16-49)