Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Before making a recommendation on a special use permit application, the Planning Commission shall establish beyond a reasonable doubt that the following general standards, as well as the specific standards outlined in each applicable section of this chapter, shall be satisfied:
(a) General Standards. The Commission shall review each application for the purpose of determining that each proposed use meets the following standards and, in addition, shall find adequate evidence that each use on its proposed location will:
(1) Be harmonious with and in accordance with the general principles and proposals of the Master Plan of the Village;
(2) Be designed, constructed, operated and maintained so as to be harmonious and appropriate in appearance with the existing or intended character of the general vicinity and so that such a use will not change the essential character of the area in which it is proposed.
(3) Not be hazardous or disturbing to existing or future uses in the same general vicinity, and will be a substantial improvement to property in the immediate vicinity and to the community as a whole.
(4) Be served adequately by essential public facilities and services, such as highways, streets, police, fire protection, drainage structures, refuse disposal, water and sewage facilities, or schools.
(5) Not involve uses, activities, processes, materials and equipment or conditions of operation that will be detrimental to any person, property or general welfare by reason of excessive production of traffic, noise, smoke, fumes, glare or odors.
(6) Be consistent with the intent and purposes of the zoning district in which it is proposed to locate such use.
(b) Conditions and Safeguards. The Commission may impose such additional conditions and safeguards deemed necessary for the general welfare, the protection of individual property rights and for insuring that the intent and objectives of this Zoning Code will be observed. The breach of any condition, safeguard or requirement shall automatically invalidate the permit granted.
(c) Specific Requirements. The general standards and requirements of this section are basic to all uses authorized by special use permit. In addition, there may be specific, applicable requirements set forth in the zoning district provisions and/or in Chapter 1294, Supplementary Regulations.
(Ord. 2001-7. Passed 11-12-01; Ord. 2009-5. Passed 11-9-09.)