Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The following minimum and maximum dimensions for lot coverage and building heights shall be required for every structure and land use in the R-M1 Multiple-Family Residential District, except as noted:
(a) Minimum lot areas shall be as follows:
(1) For one-family dwellings, 10,000 square feet for each dwelling unit;
(2) For two-family dwellings, 6,000 square feet for each dwelling unit;
(3) For multiple-family dwellings, 4,000 square feet for each dwelling unit; and
(4) For lodging or boarding houses, 8,000 square feet for each dwelling unit, plus 500 square feet for each nontransient person accommodated.
(b) Minimum interior lot widths shall be seventy feet along the street on which the lot principally fronts, except as follows:
(1) Lots located on irregular or curving streets shall have their width measured at the building line.
(2) A single-family dwelling may be constructed on a lot of record which is of smaller dimensions and of less gross area than the minimum specified, provided that any lot so excepted shall be no less than 50 feet wide at the building line, and that no lot shall be so reduced in area that the required open spaces will be smaller than those established as a minimum for the district in which the lot is located. Refer to Section 1286.11 for permitted exceptions to lot widths.
(c) Minimum corner lot widths shall be eighty feet along the street upon which the lot principally fronts, with exceptions to be allowed for lots on curvilinear streets producing nonparallel side lot lines, except that any minimum lot width shall be 10 feet more for corner lots.
(e) Minimum front yards shall be 25 feet, except in the case where 40% or more of the lots within a block are occupied with residential structures. No building hereafter erected or structurally altered shall project beyond the average front yard so established, provided that this regulation shall not require a front yard of more than 50 feet or allow a front yard of less than 20 feet.
(f) Minimum side yards shall be 10 feet on each side.
(g) Minimum rear yards shall be not less than 30 feet for lots up to 150 feet in depth and not less than 40 feet for lots greater than 150 feet in depth.
(h) Maximum building height shall be as follows:
(1) For one and two-family dwellings, two and one-half stories, but not exceeding 35 feet. Accessory buildings shall not exceed a height of 15 feet. Refer to Section 1294.18 for permitted exceptions.
(2) For multiple-family dwellings, 3 stories, but not exceeding 40 feet. Accessory buildings shall not exceed a height of 15 feet. No space below grade level shall be used for dwelling purposes, except as follows:
A. When the finished floor grade of the space below grade level is no more than 4 feet below finished outside ground level at any point on the periphery of that part of the structure enclosing the below grade dwelling space;
B. On sloping sites, when the finished grade of the space below grade level is above finished outside ground level for at least the length of one wall. In the same instance, such dwelling spaces shall have either adequate through or cross ventilation.
(3) For lodging or boarding houses, two and one-half stories, but not exceeding 35 feet. Accessory buildings shall not exceed a height of 15 feet.
(i) Minimum dwelling floor areas shall be as follows:
(1) For single-family dwellings, 750 square feet;
(2) For each dwelling unit in a two-family dwelling, 700 square feet; and
(3) For each dwelling unit in a multiple-family dwelling, 350 square feet for one room, 550 square feet for two rooms, 750 square feet for 3 rooms, and an average of 200 square feet for each room in excess of 3 rooms.
(Ord. 89. Passed 4-10-72.)