Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Periodic Cutting.
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to maintain or to permit to be maintained on any premises, including vacant lots or land, upon which grass, weeds, and undergrowth are permitted or caused to accumulate in any manner which is or may become a nuisance causing injury to the health or welfare of residents or to the public in the vicinity or causing injury to neighboring property.
(2) No person owning or being in possession of land within the city shall fail to keep such property free and clear of all noxious weeds and rank vegetation on land owned or in his possession whenever such weeds and vegetation have grown to a height of more than eight (8) inches.
(B) Notice To Cut: Action Of Owner Or Tenant.
(1) It shall be the duty of the City Manager, or his designate, to forward a written notice to the owner or other person having possession of or control over such lands to the effect that such weeds or vegetation may not exist at present, or in the future, which are in violation of this section.
(2) Such notice shall be delivered once annually, and thereafter no additional notice shall be necessary for such subsequent and repeated violations of this code section during the calendar year.
(3) After initial notification, the city shall wait fourteen (14) days before such weeds and vegetation may be cut and destroyed, to allow the weeds and vegetation to be removed privately.
(C) Noxious Weeds, Rank Vegetation and Grass Clippings.
(1) It shall be prohibited and unlawful for any person to place or allow noxious weeds, rank vegetation and grass clippings to be deposited or blown onto any streets, roadways, avenues or highways within the jurisdiction of the city limits.
(2) It shall be prohibited and unlawful for any person to cut their grass or lawn in such a manner as to allow noxious weeds, rank vegetation and grass clippings to be deposited onto any streets, roadways, avenues or highways within the jurisdiction of the city limits.
(3) Any person violating any provision of this chapter shall be deemed guilty of an offense and shall be subject to a fine of up to two hundred dollars ($200) or imprisonment for not more than thirty (30) days upon conviction. Each day shall be considered a separate offense. Punishment for violation shall not relieve the offender of liability for delinquent penalties and costs provided for herein.
(1977 Code, § 6-3001) (Am. Ord. 02-07, passed 5-13-2002; Am. Ord. 18-07, passed 6-11-2018)