Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The following general rules of construction apply to the text of the Zoning Ordinance.
1. Headings. Section and subsection headings contained herein are provided for illustrative purposes only and shall not be deemed to limit, govern, modify, or otherwise affect the scope, meaning, or intent of any provision of the Zoning Ordinance.
2. Illustration. In the case of any real or apparent conflict between the text of the Ordinance and any illustration explaining the text, the text shall apply.
3. Shall, Must, and May. “Shall” and “must” are always mandatory. “May” is discretionary.
4. Tenses and Numbers. Words used in the present tense include the future tense. Words used in the singular include the plural, and the plural the singular, unless the context clearly indicates the contrary.
5. Conjunctions. Unless the context clearly indicates the contrary, the following conjunctions shall be interpreted as follows:
A. “And” indicates that all connected items or provisions apply.
B. “Or” indicates that the connected items or provisions may apply singly or in any combination.
C. “Either ... or” indicates that the connected items or provisions shall apply singly but not in combination.
6. Referenced Agencies. Unless otherwise indicated, all public officials, bodies, and agencies referred to in this Ordinance are those of the City of Denison.