Skip to code content (skip section selection)
1. The Building Inspector is hereby authorized to enforce the provisions of this chapter.
2. The Fire Marshal and the Building Inspector are hereby authorized to make such inspections and to take such actions as may be required to enforce the provisions of this chapter.
3. Whenever necessary to make an inspection to enforce any of the provisions of this chapter, or whenever the Building Inspector has reasonable cause to believe that there exists in any building or upon any premises any condition or code violation which makes such building or premises unsafe, dangerous or hazardous, the Building Inspector may enter such building or premises at all reasonable times to inspect the same or to perform any duty imposed upon the Building Inspector by this chapter, provided that if such building or premises is occupied, the Building Inspector shall first present proper credentials and request entry; and if such building or premises is unoccupied, the Building Inspector shall first make reasonable effort to locate the owner or other persons having charge or control of the building or premises and request entry. If such entry is refused, the Building Inspector shall have recourse to every remedy provided by law to secure entry.
4. All buildings or portions thereof which are determined after inspection by the Building Inspector to be dangerous as defined in this chapter are hereby declared to be public nuisances and shall be abated by repair, rehabilitation, demolition or removal in accordance with the procedure specified in this chapter.
5. It is unlawful for any person to erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish, equip, use, occupy or maintain any building or structure or cause or permit the same to be done in violation of this chapter.
6. All buildings or structures within the scope of this chapter and all construction or work for which a permit is required shall be subject to inspection by the Building Inspector in accordance with and in the manner provided by this chapter and the Building Code.