Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Creation of Department. There is created and established for the city a Department of Parks and Recreation, consisting of a Park and Recreation Board, a Superintendent and such other personnel that the Board determines, established pursuant to I.C. 36-10-3-3.
(B) Adoption of enabling legislation. I.C. 36-10-3-1 through 36-10-3-39, as such pertains to third-class cities, is hereby adopted by reference the same as if set out verbatim herein.
(C) Board membership. The Park and Recreation Board shall be known as the “Decatur Park and Recreation Board” and shall consist of four members to be appointed by the Mayor of the city and two ex- officio members, those being:
(1) A member of the North Adams Community Schools Board of School Trustees, selected by such body; and
(2) A member of the Library Board of the Decatur Public Library, selected by such body.
(D) Initial terms. The terms of the initial appointments to the Park and Recreation Board shall be as follows.
(1) One member appointed by the Mayor shall be for a term of one year.
(2) One member appointed by the Mayor shall be for a term of two years.
(3) One member appointed by the Mayor shall be for a term of two years.
(4) One member appointed by the Mayor shall be for a term of four years.
(5) Terms of ex-officio members shall be for a term of four years.
(E) Term expirations and filling vacancies. As a term expires, each new appointment will be for a four-year term. All terms will expire on the first Monday in January, but a member continues in office until his or her successor is appointed. In making initial appointments, the appointing authority, in order to provide for continuity of experience, shall give special consideration to the appointment of members from previous park or recreation boards. If a vacancy occurs, the appointing authority shall appoint a person to serve for the remainder of the unexpired term.
(F) Salary. The Common Council shall fix the salary of members of the Park and Recreation Board, not to exceed $300 per year.
(G) Powers and duties. The Park and Recreation Board shall have such powers and duties as are set out in the statute to which reference was heretofore made and which has been incorporated by reference herein.
(H) Meetings and offices. At its first regular meeting in each year, the Board shall elect a President and a Vice-President. The Vice-President shall have authority as the President during the absence or disability of the President.
(I) Park Non-reverting fund.
(1) There is hereby established a Park Non-Reverting Fund, whereby expenditures can be made without appropriations for the use of the City Parks and Recreation Department and the City Parks and Recreation Board. The moneys of this Fund shall be dispersed only on approved claims.
(2) The moneys for this Fund shall be obtained from fees collected for bus trips provided by an approved bus transportation company and sponsored by the City Parks and Recreation Department and the City Parks and Recreation Board.
(3) Expenditures from this Fund shall be for bus trips provided by an approved bus transportation company and sponsored by the City Parks and Recreation Department and the City Parks and Recreation Board.
(J) Parks and Recreation Department Non-Reverting Operating Fund.
(1) Purpose. The purpose of this division (J) is to establish a second non-reverting operating fund for the Parks and Recreation Department to be used for the purposes hereinafter established.
(2) Fund. There is hereby established a Parks and Recreation Department Non- Reverting Operating Fund for Ball Parks maintenance and improvements.
(3) League fees. Donations for Ball Parks maintenance and improvements and League fees established by the Parks and Recreation Board for use of its Ball Parks, upon collection, shall be deposited into the Non-Reverting Operating Fund established herein.
(4) Use of funds. Expenditures can be made from this Fund by the Parks and Recreation Board, without appropriation, for Ball Parks maintenance and improvements. The monies of this Fund shall be dispersed only upon claims approved by the Decatur Parks and Recreation Board.
(K) Effective date. This section shall be in full force and effect on 1-3-1983, and until such time the existing Department of Parks and Recreation is hereby re-created in its form, at the time of the passage of this section, and such Department shall have the same powers and duties as such existing Board has at the time of the passage of this section.
(L) Affect on prior contracts and actions. This section shall not affect, in any manner or means, any rights, privileges, duties or responsibilities created by the Board of Parks and Recreation in existence at the time of the passage of this section, whether created by contract or otherwise, and all such existing rights, privileges, duties and responsibilities created by such prior Board shall inure to the benefit or obligation of the Department hereby created.
(Prior Code, § 33.25) (Ord. 1982-9, passed 8-17-1982; Ord. 2013-11, passed 10-15-2013; Ord. 2015-8, passed 6-16-2015)