Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) In order to improve the present health, safety, convenience and welfare of the citizens and to better plan for the future development of our community to the end that the street and highway systems may be carefully planned, that the community centers shall grow with adequate highway, street, utility, health, educational, religious and recreational facilities and environments, that the needs of agriculture, industry and business may be recognized along with the future growth of the city, that residential areas may provide healthy and pleasant surroundings for the family life, and that the growth of the city may be commensurate with and promotive of more efficient and economical use of public funds, there shall be and there is created a Planning Commission for the city, all as provided for by I.C. 36-7-4-200 et seq.
(B) The Planning Commission shall serve in an advisory capacity to the present established boards and officials.
(C) The Planning Commission shall be composed of nine members, appointed as follows:
(1) One member appointed by the city legislative body from its membership;
(2) One member appointed by the Park Board from its membership;
(3) One member or designated repre- sentative appointed by the City Works Board;
(4) The City Engineer or a qualified assistant appointed by the City Civil Engineer; and
(5) Five citizen members, of whom no more than three may be of the same political party, appointed by the city executive.
(D) The Planning Commission shall have such powers, and do and perform such duties as are conferred upon planning commissions.
(Prior Code, § 33.20) (Ord. 2013-2, passed 2-5-2013)
Related provisions, see I.C. 36-7-4-207