Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Whenever any vehicle is operated in violation of the provisions of a permit issued under the provisions of §§ 74.125 through 74.143 by operating with the gross weight in excess of that authorized in the permit, the owner or driver of such vehicle shall be deemed guilty of a business offense and either the owner or the driver of the vehicle may be prosecuted for the violation. Any person, firm, or corporation convicted of such violation shall be fined in the following amounts for each pound of excess weight in excess of the gross weight authorized in the permit.
(1) 1,000 pounds or less, not less than $.02 nor more than $.05 per pound;
(2) Over 1,000 pounds and 2,000 pounds or less, not less than $.04 nor more than $.07 per pound;
(3) Over 2,000 pounds and 3,000 pounds or less, not less than $.07 nor more than $.10 per pound;
(4) Over 3,000 pounds and 4,000 pounds or less, not less than $.10 nor more than $.15 per pound;
(5) Over 4,000 pounds and 5,000 pounds or less, not less than $.15 nor more than $.20 per pound; and
(6) Over 5,000 pounds, not less than $.17 nor more than $.25 per pound.
(B) Penalties for violations of this section shall be in addition to any penalties imposed for violation of § 74.125(J).
(ILCS Ch. 625, Act 5, § 15-113.3)