Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) For the purpose of this section, "SCHOOL" means the following entities:
(1) A public or private primary or secondary school.
(2) A primary or secondary school operated by a religious institution.
(3) A public, private, or religious nursery school.
(B) No person may drive a vehicle upon any street at a speed which is greater than the applicable statutory maximum speed limit established by division (C), of this section, by § 71.002, or by a regulation or ordinance made under this chapter.
(1) For the purpose of this section, a school day shall begin at 7:00 a.m. and shall conclude at 4:00 p.m.
(2) This section shall not be applicable unless appropriate signs are posted upon streets and highways under their respective jurisdiction and maintained by the department, township, county, park district, city, village, or incorporated town wherein the school zone is located. With regard to the special speed limits while passing schools, the signs shall give proper due warning that a school zone is being approached, and shall indicate the school zone and the maximum speed limit in effect during school days when school children are present.
(C) Nothing in this chapter shall prohibit the use of electronic speed-detecting devices within 500 feet of signs within a special school speed zone indicating the zone, as defined in this section, nor shall evidence obtained thereby be inadmissible in any prosecution for speeding, provided the use of the device shall apply only to the enforcement of the speed limit in the special school speed zone.
(D) (1) Except as provided in division (D)(2) of this section, a person who violates this section is guilty of a petty offense with a minimum fine of $150 for the first violation and a minimum fine of $300 for the second or subsequent violation.
(2) A person committing a violation of this section is guilty of aggravated special speed limit while passing schools when he or she drives a motor vehicle at a speed that is:
(a) Twenty-six miles per hour or more but less than 35 miles per hour in excess of the applicable special speed limit established under this Section or a similar provision of a local ordinance and is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor; or
(b) Thirty-five miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable special speed limit established under this section or a similar provision of a local ordinance and is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(ILCS Ch. 625, Act 5, §11-605) ('64 Code, §21-76) (Am. Ord. 6994, passed 7-19-83) Penalty, see § 70.999