Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) If any automobile, truck or other vehicle is found parked, standing or stopped in violation of the parking regulations of this chapter, the vehicle may be cited for the appropriate parking violation. The citing officer shall note the vehicle’s registration number and any other information concerning the vehicle, which will identify it and, if the driver is not present, shall conspicuously affix to the vehicle a citation as notice of the parking violation.
(B) The form of the citation of the parking violation shall be designated by the Chief of Police, but shall contain in substance the following information:
(1) A statement that the citation represents a determination that a parking violation has been committed by the owner of the vehicle and that the determination shall be final unless contested as provided herein;
(2) A statement that a parking violation may result in impoundment of the vehicle for which the owner may be liable for a fine and towing, handling, and storage charges or fees;
(3) A statement of the specific parking violation for which the citation was issued;
(4) A statement of the monetary penalty established for the parking violation; and
(5) A statement of the options provided in the Local Government Parking Citation Enforcement Act, being KRS 82.600 to 82.640 as provided herein for responding to the notice and the procedures necessary to exercise these options.
(C) The citation as notice of the parking violation represents a determination that a parking violation has been committed, and such determination shall be final unless contested.
(D) The city may designate a third-party contractor to write citations, in concert with the Police Department, for violations of this chapter.
(E) The Chief of Police, or his or her designee, shall have the authority to void any erroneously issued parking citation written by the city’s Police Department or by the third-party parking contractor, after an administrative review by the Chief of Police, or his or her designee, to identify the error. If applicable, the city’s third-party parking contractor may also void tickets erroneously issued by the parking contractor, after an administrative review to identify the error by its chief local manager. When the authority under this division (E) is invoked, the Chief of Police and the city’s third-party parking contractor shall maintain a record of all parking citations that are under consideration for voiding and those citations which are voided.
(G) (1) The Director of Public Works, or his or her designee, shall have the discretionary authority to void any parking citation issued to city employees, elected or appointed officials, or guests of the city, while on city business, after an administrative review by the Director of Public Works and for good cause shown in accordance with the applicable city parking citation waiver policy.
(2) The Director of Public Works shall maintain a record of all parking citations that are under consideration for voiding and those citations which are voided.
(1984 Code, § 75.73) (Ord. O-16-05, passed 3-8-2005; Ord. O-42-10, passed 12-7-2010; Ord. O-12-13, passed 3-26-2013; Ord. O-08-16, passed 5-3-2016)