Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) The following general operating requirements shall apply to all salvage yards and salvage yard operators:
(1) The license issued pursuant to this Chapter shall be plainly displayed on the business premises at all times;
(2) Any space or land area not described in the license shall not be used in the licensed business;
(3) No water shall be allowed to accumulate or stand in any location on the premises so as to provide a breeding place for mosquitoes. Should any place on the premises become a breeding place for mosquitoes, the salvage yard operator shall have the place sprayed with an insecticide so as to eliminate the mosquito nuisance;
(4) Weeds and vegetation, other than trees, evergreen trees or hedges used as a barrier, shall not be permitted to grow higher than six inches;
(5) No garbage or rubbish shall be kept or permitted to accumulate and remain on the premises in violation of Chapter 708 and said premises shall be maintained in sanitary condition;
(6) No salvage shall be allowed to rest upon or protrude into any public right- of-way, fire lane, or become scattered or blown off the business premises and no salvage shall exceed the height of the fence;
(7) Combustible salvage material, including tires, shall be placed or stored at least fifteen feet from a required outside fence and any building;
(8) No salvage, or junk, trash or rubbish shall be placed , maintained, or be allowed to accumulate outside of the salvage premises or fence. The Licensee is responsible for maintenance of the area outside the salvage yard premises.
(9) A fire lane eighteen feet in width shall be maintained from the main entrance throughout an outside salvage yard, so that no point of the salvage yard shall be more than 200 feet from a fire lane. No salvage shall be deposited within thirty inches of a required fence;
(10) Every salvage yard, together with the things kept therein, shall be maintained so as to be free from vermin, rats, fire hazards, public nuisances and all other conditions harmful to the public health, safety or welfare;
(11) Required fences and gates shall be maintained so as to prevent dilapidation, rusting, rotting, leaning, or other deterioration;
(12) Gasoline shall be removed from any engines or vehicles, qualifying as salvage, on the premises, and properly disposed of;
(13) Proof of proper disposal of oil, gas, antifreeze, batteries and tires shall be maintained by the salvage yard operator and is subject to review upon application for license renewal;
(14) No more than 500 non-mounted tires may be stored on the site;
(15) No salvage shall be burned on the premises except in a manner approved by law;
(16) Dust control, including but not limited to the application of water, salt brine and stone, shall be applied to minimize dust during windy days or resulting from traffic.
(17) The license holder shall permit inspection of the business premises the City Manager or his designee at any reasonable time.
(18) Each purchase or receipt of salvage shall be recorded in legible English in a permanent type prenumbered register kept on the business premises, giving the name, address and driver’s license number of the person from whom the purchase or receipt was made, a description of the salvage acquired, the vehicle identification number of any motor vehicle acquired and any part of a motor vehicle, engine or drive train acquired with a vehicle identification number or its derivative, the date and time of the transaction, and the license number of the vehicle of the seller, (when reasonably obtainable). Such data shall be made available for inspection by the Housing and Zoning Inspector or his duly authorized representative for a period of at least one year from the date of purchase or receipt. The register shall be kept current through the closing of the previous business day;
(19) The salvage yard shall be operated in such a manner that all loading, unloading and working of the salvage piles, and the equipment involved therein, shall be done entirely within the confines of the licensed premises as shown on the plot plan described in this Chapter;
(20) A sign constructed of durable material and announcing a telephone number where a responsible representative of the salvage yard operator can be reached after business hours shall be posted in a conspicuous place on the primary entrance to the premises.
(b) The Housing and Zoning Inspector, with the assistance of such other department or departments as may be appropriate, shall cause such inspections to be made as necessary to insure compliance with the general operating requirements.
(Ord. 92-03. Passed 12-29-03.)