The town may extend water and/or sewer lines at its own discretion in the following circumstances:
   (A)   To alleviate health problems. When the Johnston County Health Department certifies to the town that a health problem exists in a certain area, the town may order the extension of water and/or sewer lines if said extension will alleviate the health problem. The town may finance those extensions through the assessment of adjacent property owners under the same procedures set out in § 51.24 or through water and/or sewer fund proceeds.
   (B)   To serve petition projects. Upon receipt of a valid petition, the town may order the extension of a water and/or sewer line to service the areas petitioned even through the property owners between the exiting water and/or sewer lines and the requested service area have not entered into the petition for water and/or sewer service. The properties to be served as a result will be assessed under the same procedure set out in § 51.24.
   (C)   Greater public interest. The Town Council may, upon one letter of request for service from a property owner in a residential subdivision, or at its own discretion, authorize the construction of a water and/or sewer line where it deems the construction to be in the greater public interest and in the general public welfare. The town may finance these extensions through the same procedures set forth in division (B) of this section.
(Ord. passed 4-2-90; Am. Ord. 2011-09-02, passed 9-6-11; Am. Ord. 2017-03-01, passed 3-6-17; Am. Ord. 2018-07-07, passed 7-16-18)