Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The general requirements as to extensions of water and sewer systems shall be in keeping with the following principles:
(A) Each developer of land shall be responsible for providing water and sewer line connections and all necessary pump stations, lift stations, and fire hydrants between their property and the town systems.
(B) Extension of both water and sewer mains shall be required when service is requested. Extension of one utility without the simultaneous extension of the other shall be permitted only in the event that water or sewer mains are available and considered adequate by the town.
(C) In accordance with G.S. § 160A-317, any property proposing to develop within the town limits and within 300 linear feet of any water line or sewer collection line owned, leased as lessee, or operated by the town or on behalf of the town shall extend and connect, unless it is determined by the town, in its sole discretion, that connection to the property is not feasible. The minimum distance for the extension of water mains or sewer mains shall be determined by the town. In general, the minimum distance for extension shall be one platted block, or in the case of water mains, from main line valve to valve, and in the case of sanitary sewers, from manhole to manhole. However, in no case shall water and sewer lines be extended less than the entire length of the developer's property and to adjacent parcels.
(D) The minimum diameter for a water main shall be six inches and the minimum diameter for a sewer main shall be eight inches. All sewer mains shall be installed at a maximum depth to ensure service to as large an area as possible.
(E) Within floodway and floodway fringe zones and areas of special flood hazard, the following requirements shall apply:
(1) All new and replacement water supply systems shall be designed to minimize or eliminate filtration of flood waters into the system.
(2) New and replacement sanitary sewer systems shall be designed to minimize and eliminate infiltration of flood waters into the systems and discharges from the systems into flood waters.
(3) On-site waste disposal systems shall be located to avoid impairment to them or contamination from them during flooding.
(F) The water and sewer extension policy and all extension requests shall be administered by the Town Manager, or designee.
(G) No water or sewer service shall be provided to any property outside of the municipal limits of the town, except upon compliance with one of the following:
(1) If the property is contiguous to the municipal limits of the town, the property owners shall immediately petition for and obtain annexation of the property into the municipal limits of the town.
(2) If the property is not then contiguous to the municipal limits of the town, the property owners shall enter into a written agreement with the town for the voluntary annexation thereof at such future date as said property shall be contiguous to the municipal limits of the town, or it is determined by the Town Council that it is in the best interests of the town to satellite annex the property.
(3) The Town Council may negotiate terms for voluntary annexation of tracts which require water and/or sewer system extensions.
(Ord. passed 4-2-90; Am. Ord. 2017-03-01, passed 3-6-17; Am. Ord. 2018-07-07, passed 7-16-18)