Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) In addition to all other requirements prescribed by federal or state law or by local ordinance, motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, and motor scooters, except when operated on actual trail rides conducted outside of public roads and highways, shall be equipped with:
(1) Two mirrors, containing a reflection surface of not less than three inches in diameter, mounted one on each side of the vehicle and positioned so as to enable the operator to clearly view the roadway for a distance of 200 feet to the rear of his vehicle;
(2) A windshield of sufficient quality, size, and thickness to protect the operator from foreign objects. In lieu of the windshield, the operator shall wear goggles or a face shield of material and design to protect the operator from foreign objects.
(3) Brakes adequate to control the movement of the vehicle, and to stop and hold the vehicle, including two separate means of applying the brakes. One means for applying the brakes shall be effective to apply the brakes to the front wheel, and one means shall be effective to apply the brakes to the rear wheels.
(4) A stop lamp on the rear of the vehicle, which shall comply with the requirements of 47 O.S. §§ 12-206 and 12-209;
(5) A properly operating speedometer capable of registering at least the maximum legal speed limit for that vehicle;
(6) A fender over each wheel. All fenders shall be of the type provided by the manufacturer;
(7) At least one lighted headlamp, but not more than two lighted headlamps, which shall comply with the requirements of 47 O.S. §§ 12-201 through 12-203 and § 12-224;
(8) At least one tail lamp, which shall comply with the requirements of 47 O.S. § 12-204;
(9) At least one rear reflector, which shall comply with the requirements of 47 O.S. § 12-205;
(10) A horn, which shall comply with the requirements of 47 O.S. § 12-401.
(B) No person under 18 years of age shall operate or ride upon any motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motor scooter unless the person is properly wearing a crash helmet of a type which complies with the standards established by 49 CFR 571.218.
(47 O.S. § 40-105)
(C) No person may operate a motorcycle or motor scooter with the exhaust system modified so that motor noise is increased greater than that of the original muffler equipment provided by the manufacturer of the vehicle.
(`83 Code, § 15-521) Penalty, see § 73.99