Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Vacancies. The office of a Council member shall become vacant upon the member's death, resignation, removal from office or forfeiture of office in any manner authorized by City ordinance or the laws of the State of Oklahoma.
(B) Forfeiture of office. A Council member shall forfeit that office if the Council member:
(1) Lacks at any time during the term of office for which elected any qualification for the office prescribed by this Charter, by City ordinance or by the laws of the State of Oklahoma;
(2) Violates any express prohibition of this Charter;
(3) Pleads guilty to or is convicted of a felony crime;
(4) Is absent from more than one-half of all meetings of the Council, whether regular or special meetings, held within a period of four (4) consecutive months; and
(5) Commits any of those acts set forth in Oklahoma Statutes, Title 22 § 1181, as may be amended from time to time by the state legislature.
(C) Filling of vacancies. A vacancy in the City Council shall be filled for the remainder of the unexpired term, if any, at the next City election following not less than 60 days upon the occurrence of the vacancy, but the Council by a majority vote of all its remaining members shall appoint a qualified person to fill the vacancy until the person elected to serve the remainder of the unexpired term takes office. If the Council fails to do so within 30 days following the occurrence of the vacancy, the election authorities shall call a special election to fill the vacancy, to be held not sooner than 90 days and not later than 120 days following the occurrence of the vacancy, and to be otherwise governed by law. Notwithstanding the requirement in Section 2.11, if at any time the membership of the Council is reduced to less than five (5) the remaining members may by majority action appoint additional members to raise the membership to eight (8).
(Amended by Res. 2002-15, passed 9-3-02 and approved by the Electorate November 4, 2002)